Chapter 2

That night I didn't sleep well at all, I was constantly tossing and turning. My mind kept wandering from one thought to another. I was never really able to focus on just one thought. I was getting frustrated because I had to drive from Canyon Lake, Texas all the way to Tucson, Arizona. We were going to California but for my sake and my best friend Callie's sake we decided to make our trip two days instead of twenty hours all the way through. I'm pretty sure with both of us capable to drive we could make it but its just not what Callie or I wanted. We wanted the most out of this trip and Tucson is a little over half way but I know me and Callie are going to need a rest during this drive. We would also need all our energy to move the boxes to our apartment. 

I rolled over and checked my phone it read 4:15 am. I decided to call Callie and see if I could wake her up so we could just go ahead and leave. I was way ahead of schedule, me and her didn't plan on leaving till ten in the morning that way we had enough time to get ready and make sure our travel bags had all the necessary items we would need. We also had to make sure we still had our laptops and a few recording items. Me and Callie started a youtube channel about six months ago when we decided to move to California. We been doing monthly video dairies and the minute we get settled into the apartment we will start weekly videos, but on this road-trip we wanted to create a video dairy of our adventure. The phone rang for a about two rings then Callie answered and she didn't sound tired at all.

"Hello" she answered

"Callie, were you sleeping?" I asked almost laughing knowing that she wasn't

"No, I literally can't sleep, I'm trying I swear, it's just not working." She laughed

"Me too, I was thinking if you're up for it, we could just leave now." I added

"Yeah, I mean, I'm not sleeping, it's the best thing we could do." She said, I could hear some rustling go on, on her end of the phone. I couldn't tell if she was crawling out of bed or putting clothes on, it was not a very distinct sound.

"Callie what are you doing?" I asked confused

"I'm grabbing my stuff and getting it together since we are leaving." she said like it was obvious

"Oh I'm sorry so I'll see you in five minutes to pick you up." I added

"Okay see you in a second Lana." she said then she hung up the phone

I ran down the hall to my moms room to wake her up. I lightly knocked on the door then entered in, I saw my moms still body laying on her bed. 

"Mom" i whispered, I got no response. "Mom" i said a little louder. "Mom" I shouted while jumping on the bed.

"What the hell, Lana?!" she mumbled rubbing her eyes.

"Me and Callie can't sleep, so we are just going to leave." I said getting off of her bed.

"What?! you're like five hours ahead of schedule." She asked confused

"I know but there is no point in waiting, when we are both restless." I added

"If you're leaving, stop by the holiday lodge, that's where Etien- I mean your dad is staying, please see him before you leave." she added getting out of bed. 

"I will mom." I smiled at her leaving the room and heading back to my room. I grabbed my two bags and my laptop bag and walked to my car. I had a red 2014 Kia Soul and I loved this car, it was my baby, her name was Ruby. Me and Callie had plenty of room for our luggage and a small cooler for food.  I walked back into the house and realized I would only be visiting this house, this house would no longer be my house, it would now be just my moms house. I was taken back by this small moment but i found my footing and knew that California was where I wanted to be and it was my dream. Even though leaving family can be incredibly hard, sometimes you have to pursue your dreams even though its one of the hardest things you will do. I hugged my mom goodbye one last time, tears running down my face.