Chapter 10

It took Thomas a moment to process what he had just done, jumped into the maze as the doors were closing, stuck there all night. Chuck's words repeated themselves over and over in his head-no one survives a night in the maze, ever. The grievers always got them, sometimes they never found the bodies. Minho was staring at him, knelt next to Alby not having said anything. Thomas was about to break the silence when Rachel's voice echoed in his skull.

Thomas I swear that is the stupidest thing I ever saw. She sounded angry but Thomas detected a hint of concern in her tone.

Sorry, I'll make sure to get your permission next time. He sensed a sigh from Rachel.

Let's just hope there is a next time. She finished and Thomas didn't say anything more, turning to Minho who was glaring at him.

"Congratulations," the other boy said in a voice filled with sarcasm, "you just killed yourself." Thomas stared at him, he had given up so easily, when he was the person who knew the maze best.

Alby lay on the stone, he looked on the edge of death, the 'dead' griever must have stung him, chasing the boys while Miyoko and Sonya managed to escape.

Minho was utterly convinced they would all die but Thomas refused to accept it, he wanted to get back to the Glade, get answers, talk to Rachel and so many other things. Thomas wasn't going to die after only two days, and he wouldn't leave Alby to die either.

They heard a noise, whirring like the griever Thomas had watched through the Glade window, it seemed to have happened months ago, rather than days. Minho bolted but Thomas stayed rooted to the spot, he wished that he wasn't alone.

What are you doing in there. Everyone's telling me there's no hope for you. Rachel, of course.

Minho bolted, Alby's nearly dead. An idea suddenly hit Thomas, the vines on the walls. He could tie Alby into them, keep him safe from the grievers, it would still be a roll of the dice as to whether or not he survived but now the die had only six sides, a better chance.

I'm going to tie Alby into the vines over the door, then try to keep myself alive. Thomas explained to Rachel, it was a long moment before she responded, the griever sounds multiplying and encroaching on him.

Good plan and good luck, I'm camping outside this door to see if you come back. It seemed that Rachel had the same policy on abandoning friends: never.

See you in the morning. Thomas tried to fill the sentence with optimism but found he had little to give, instead filled with a determination to survive.

Thomas tied Alby up in the vines and hoped it would be enough, the grievers coming ever closer. He pushed the other boy ten metres up and tied the vines as tightly as he dared, hanging exhausted from the wall.

A griever moved beneath them in the corridor, many times more terrifying when it could touch you, kill you.

Thomas stayed perfectly still, a beetle blade blinked on the opposite wall, revealing his exact location to anyone watching. He didn't dare to move, or breathe.

Then the griever started to climb the wall.

Thomas was sure he had never been more scared in his life, the terrifying creature coming slowly towards him. He swung ahead on the vines, descended to the floor and ran, eventually outrunning the griever.

Only to find himself in the direct path of three others, Thomas turned, sprinted past the first griever and into the maze, before long he ran into Minho. The other boy was still alive and seemed to have regained some courage.

They stood at the edge of the cliff as the Grievers approached them, diving out of the way at the last second so the monsters fell into the abyss. It was exhilarating, but not in the best way.

After what seemed like decades the sun rose, Thomas and Minho began the long walk back to the Glade

They walked back through the door to the Glade, carrying Alby between them and setting him down on the ground as soon as they could. There were boys and girls staring at them but they mostly ignored Thomas, pelting Minho with questions about what had happened and moving Alby off to the Homestead. Thomas just stood there, too exhausted to really understand what was going on. The figure of a girl approached him and raised her arm, a second later Thomas felt a sharp pain on his cheek. Who would do that?

Thomas turned and saw Rachel staring at him, she looked an impossible mixture of angry and thrilled."Come on Rach," he wasn't sure why he used the nickname but it felt right. "What was that for?""For being a shucking idiot," she said before hugging him tightly, a gesture Thomas returned. "Please never do that again." Rachel added letting go of him. "I don't want to be alone here."Afterwards everything was a blur again, escorted to the Homestead, food, bandages and bed. Thomas fell asleep as soon as he lay down, the events of the night catching up to him.