Chapter 29

Thomas couldn't believe what they were supposed to get through. Newt shouted something and a path was made through the crowd of Gladers.

The enormity of the situation suddenly hit him, they had to get through the Grievers, punch in the code, and hopefully stop the monsters before too many Gladers died. Aris and Rachel had promised to act as physical bodyguards, and Thomas found himself both loving and hating them for it.

"Ready!" Minho yelled, pulling Thomas from his thoughts. "Now!" The boy ran forward, weapon raised, followed by other Gladers, boys and girls running at the monsters.

Thomas held Teresa's hand as he watched them pass, heard the sounds of metal against metal and Grievers whirring, a few screams of pain already.

Chuck ran past, Thomas reached out and grabbed his arm, he couldn't see Flo anywhere and there was little he could do about it, despite the pang in his chest.

"You're with us. Hold Teresa's other hand. Let's go." Thomas instructed, he hoped that enough Grievers were distracted by the mass of Gladers that they would not be a main target.

A narrow aisle was forming in the middle of the corridor, Thomas tried hard not to look at the Gladers faces, see who was ready to sacrifice themselves.

"Now!" Thomas shouted.

He sprinted ahead, pulling Teresa behind him, Teresa pulling Chuck behind her, running at full speed, spears and knives cocked for battle, forward into the bloody, scream-filled hallway of stone. Toward the Cliff.

War raged around them. Gladers fought, panic-induced adrenaline driving them on. The sounds echoing off the walls were a cacophony of terror—human screams, metal clashing against metal, motors roaring, the haunted shrieks of the Grievers, saws spinning, claws clasping, yells for help. All was a blur, bloody and gray and flashes of steel; Thomas tried not to look left or right, only ahead, through the narrow gap formed by the Gladers.

Thomas didn't dare to look back to see if Rachel and Aris were behind them, but straining his ears he thought he could hear their shoes slap the stone.

We're here, keep going. Rachel said in his mind, perhaps having somehow sensed his concern.

Something stabbed Thomas's leg, Teresa shrieking in surprised pain at the same moment, they kept running, it was all they could really do.

It was only about 150 metres to the Cliff, but they felt like an eternity. Thomas was so focused on running that he barely stopped in time to avoid an endless fall, arms pulling him back.

Don't fall now, or I will kill you in the afterlife. Rachel warned, Thomas had long ago realised that these threats were almost a sign of affection from her.

The ivy ropes marked the Griever Hole clearly, they had to jump, Thomas hesitated for a moment.

No time to waste, it's a massacre back there. Aris told him glancing over his shoulder, turning back with a look of terror.

"Okay, Teresa first." Thomas looked at her, her expression was one of grim determination.

To his surprise, she didn't hesitate. After squeezing Thomas's hand, then Chuck's shoulder, she leaped off the edge, immediately stiffening her legs, with her arms by her sides. Thomas held his breath until she slipped into the spot between the cut-off ivy ropes and disappeared. It looked as if she'd been erased from existence with one quick swipe.

"Whoa!" Chuck yelled, the slightest hint of his old self breaking through.
"Whoa is right," Thomas said. "You're next."
Before the boy could argue, Thomas grabbed him under his arms, squeezed Chuck's torso. "Push off with your legs and I'll give you a lift. Ready? One, two, three!" He grunted with effort, heaved him over toward the Hole.