Chapter 26

Thomas set off across the Glade, mind reeling, the look on Newt's face had said he believed him. He had the Seconds on his side, but how many others would follow them?

Thomas saw Harriet wandering back towards the Homestead, so he figured he didn't need to tell her that she was needed back in the Gathering. Not knowing quite where to find his friends he found himself sat on the bench by the Box, considering it all.

Could he really sacrifice himself? In a way he had already done it once. Would it really save everyone if he gave himself to the monsters.

Where are you? Teresa, was it ever going to become less creepy that three people could force their voices into his head as they pleased? Although Thomas did suppose that he could do it to them too.

By the Box. Thomas broadcast the message widely, Aris and Rachel would also hear it.

We'll be there in a minute.

Thomas realized how badly he needed their company. Good. I'll tell you the plan; I think it's on.

What is it? This was Rachel. If it's anything as stupid as your previous plans... This was followed by a vague threat to his potential reproductive capabilities. Thomas couldn't help but laugh.

I hope you're not talking to me. Aris was obviously joking, Thomas wasn't sure what to think about the fact that it was at his expense.

It depends.

Don't mess with Rachel, that's some of the best advice I can give you here. Thomas stopped, thinking of Harriet and Beth specifically. In fact, just don't mess with girls period.

That I know.

Thomas leaned back on the bench and put his right foot up on his knee, wondering how they would react to what he was going to say. The jokes had slightly improved his black mood.

We gotta go through the Griever Hole. Use that code to shut the Grievers down and open a door out of here.

I figured it was something like that. Teresa.
You have got to be shucking kidding me. Rachel.
Please tell me you're kidding. Aris.
Teresa seemed calmest, that pleased Thomas for several reasons he didn't quite understand.

Got any better ideas? Thomas really hoped that one of them did.
No. It's gonna be awful. Teresa replied.
But we can do it. Rachel again, we will do it, there won't be another way.

It was quiet for a few moments, meaning that Thomas was left alone with his thoughts, something he did not want to be right now.

"Penny for them." Thomas understood Teresa's phrase, but of course had no idea how. She sat down next to him, close enough to touch. Aris and Rachel joined them. The bench was tight with the four of them, but after the corners they had been sleeping in recently it was downright spacious.

Teresa took Thomas's hand, squeezed it and he squeezed back.

"Tell us." She instructed gently, and this time Thomas did. Reciting every word he had told the Keepers, and their reactions, especially Alby's.

"They might decide to go tonight. It doesn't sound so good now." It especially terrified Thomas to think about Chuck and Teresa out there—he'd faced the Grievers down already and knew all too well what it was like. He wanted to be able to protect his friends from the horrible experience, but he knew he couldn't.

"I'm scared." Rachel sounded much smaller and younger than the girl Thomas knew. The one who could terrify him and stare down any of the Keepers. Aris put an arm around her shoulders and she leant into the touch. Thomas was terrified, likely even more than she was, facing those beasts, again. It was too much to think about, so Thomas stopped thinking about it.

"Me too." Thomas said quietly, just loud enough for them all to hear him.

"We should be scared." Teresa took Thomas's hand again, reaching out to Aris with the other.

They stayed there, holding hands and huddled together, for a long time. Silent, but peaceful. Thomas hated the overwhelming awareness that this might be his last moment of happiness in a long time.