Chapter 24

Thomas had no concept of time as he went through the changing, he tried to reach out telepathically, to Teresa, Rachel, Aris, but felt nothing. He was trapped and isolated inside his own mind.

After an interminable amount of time in a black vacuum, things began to change. Memories filled Thomas's thoughts, and everything else turned to pain.

After an immeasurable amount of time, Thomas awoke, filled with despair. The Maze couldn't be solved, and the only way out was something they would never have thought of, something horrifying.

"Are you awake? Because if you are Rachel is going to kill you." Finally opening his eyes Thomas recognised Aris, who was leaning against the wall and looked incredibly bored.

"Yeah, I am." Thomas's voice was rough with disuse. "How long was I out?"

"Three days, they thought you were dead a few times. Rachel and Teresa will be here in a minute." Three days, six more Gladers taken and killed by the Grievers.

Rachel, Teresa, Aris, the things that the four of them had done.

Chuck put his head around the door, and Thomas was filled with relief that his friend hadn't been taken. The boy's face lit up when he saw Thomas, he must have heard him and Aris talking.

"He's awake, Thomas is awake!" Chuck began shouting.

"Not so loud, you'll wake the Grievers. Run along and tell Newt and Harriet." Teresa patted Chuck's head and he ran off, still shouting.

Thomas was happy to see his friends, unharmed and smiling, or he was until he saw the look on Rachel's face. Aris hadn't been lying.

"If you do anything that stupid ever again I will strangle you." She said with a disturbingly sweet smile, pinching Thomas's arm hard enough that the skin almost broke.

"Oww." Thomas moaned, rubbing at the injury, he was reminded of how she had slapped him when he returned from the Maze.

Newt and Harriet were taking their time to appear, so Thomas got a rundown of everything that had happened. Several Gladers had been taken, including Zart and Charlotte, but no one too important. Thomas had been put in the Slammer at night but kept in the Homestead during the day, the three of them taking shifts to watch him. The Maze had been scoured but no purpose for the code had been found.

"We need to have a Gathering immediately, I think I've figured it out, I need to tell the Keepers before I forget anything." Thomas told them.

"Tell us now, between us we must be able to remember it all." Teresa smiled.

"No, I don't have the energy to say it all twice, I'll ask for them to let you in."

Newt and Harriet arrived after maybe half an hour, apologising that they had had to settle several fistfights, everyone was so scared that it was manifesting somewhat explosively.

"You need to get all the Keepers, have a Gathering, I know the way out."

Harriet sent Rachel and Aris to go round up the Keepers, leaving herself to go and get Alby, Newt followed her. Within a couple of minutes Thomas was left with Teresa.

I pretty much hated you the last couple of days, you should have seen yourself.

You hated me? Thomas was elated she had cared so much, it was Rachel who had seemed angriest.

That's just my way of saying I would've killed you if you died. So, how much do you remember?

Enough, Thomas replied, struggling with the words, somehow he was still exhausted. It was us, we did all this. They had theorised it before, and now Thomas knew it for certain. Ben and Rosa attacking himself and Rachel, Gally's irrational hatred, it all made sense now.