Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Inkheart for inspiring me to write this

Chapter 1 : The Gift

       I can hear my little sister running down the hall loudly , I shouted for her to stop it. I slowly crawled out from my bed, grinning from ear to ear. I looked at myself in the mirror and whispered to myself. " I am turning sixteen today." I squealed, while brushing my teeth. Brushing my brown hair, I wondered what my presents were. Its not the presents that I was excited about, its the guessing.

       I slowly walked down from the stairs, searching  around for any sign of birthday  presents . I heard a sound from the kitchen, I turned to see what mom was cooking,my stomach grolwed,just noticing that i was starving.I peeked and saw the she was cooking the usual, bacon and eggs. I slowly walked to the table and took my seat next to my sister ,Ciara whilst my mother started to dish up our breakfast. My mother gave us each our packed lunch and slipped it in our school bags  and, perched a goodbye kiss on our cheeks. She walked over to dad giving him a kiss too.

      The day quicky passed by, like most students passed me by, pobably unaware that today was my birthday. However there would be a handful that would remember today was my birthday. As usual i was the 'wallflower' I was never really noticed, so it was not an unusial feeling. As time passed by, it was time to go back home.

     Just before the bell rang, I grabbed my black ball pen and quickly finished writing the last sentance of my story. Before I knew it my school day had come to an end. I slipped my backpack's sleeves on to my shoulders and went back home.

      Cherry pie was all I could smell when I opened the front door. I smiled knowing it was my favorite. I walked down to the dining table. I sat there looking at the food around it. I noticed my grandfather sitting right in front of me, I smiled at him. He smiled back handing me a small gift wrapped in blue wrapping paper and a silver ribbon tied it all up. I smiled and thanked him. I quickly opened the gift wich revealed a beautiful silver pen and notepad. I smiled at him and hugged him tight.

       " Your welcome Tia, I know how much you love to write and draw." He said. Being a well known author himself he probably knew how much this meant to me. " This pen will never run out of ink Tia and this notepad will never run out of page." He whispered to me. I looked at him in shock.

         " How is that possible grandpa." I asked curiously

       " It's magic." He simply said.

          I looked at him with excited eyes before I race up to my room, still feeling a bit suspicious but went to try. I decided to write a story.

           I thought of a beautiful silver dragon with jewels surrounding his wings and legs, flying around a beautiful forest. I decided to draw him and to name him 'Silver Wing'. I smiled happy with the name, until I noticed how hungry I was, I slowly crept down to the kitchen grabbing some snacks and slowly coming back up to my room.

          I gasped and dropped all the snacks to the floor. Looking closly as my dragon started to come out of the piece of paper , I blinked a few times and pinched myself, but I knew what I was looking at was true. I gulped a load of air and walked slowly to the dragon. Extending my hand I touched it's rough scales. The dragon , slowly sniffed my hand and smiled ( well I think that was a smile in dragon version ) . I rubbed his head and whispered to him " Silver Wing." He responded with a small bark, as if he was a dog. I suddenly had an idea whirling in my mind.

          I sat and steadied myself on the back of the dragon, luckily i took riding lessons. Iwonder why it did not get mad or anythingI thought he would get mad.The dragon gave a soft nicker and stretched it's wings , showing off the beautiful jewels that decorated it. He then dived into the setting i drew him, I saw a beautiful forest full of bizare plants and trees everywhere, giant birds and tiny elephants. I laughed at the sight of this and thought that my grandfather did give me the best gift ever. Swerving to the left and then to the right, dodging trees and plants and other creatures. We landed on a long narrow trail, I looked around inspecting the area, still in awe. I heard a small cackle behind me. 

             I turned around to see  a small dragon with black scales , three small claws in each foot , two small sleek wings running from his shoulders to his hips. It's eyes platinum and shining in the daylight and two small horns extended from it's forehead. I smiled and bent down to pet the little dragon, he slowly walked towards me extending his head for me to pet. And so I did. I named this species Ruby Darkblast and slowly walked away from it, sitting on my dragon i steered him to the place we came from till we ended u back in my small room. I sighed and petted Silver Wing and told him to go back into the realm. He would not so I ended up making him sleep on my carpet ( which did not help him cause he is as big as a horse) . I dreamt of the world of dragons , kind ones and mean ones. I was there in the middle naming each and every single one and each would embrace it's name loving it and treasuring it forever.