III

There is a large, cavernous room filled with children. They all appear to be about ten years old. In each of their hands is a small, sleek sword. They are all slashing and hacking at rubber dummies, looking satisfied when they cut into them or remove a chunk of rubber. All except for one. A petite girl with dark brown hair and startlingly blue eyes does not take any pleasure in this activity, though she is obviously the best. She move with an elegant grace, sure and confident of herself. This is very different than most of the other children, who are taking tender steps and wild swings.
  The girl is staring calculatingly at her dummy, contemplating her next move when an instructor strolls up behind her, holding a clipboard and pen.
"Let's see it, Albany." The girl nods, and begins to once more slash and hack into her dummy with controlled swings. Her footwork is impeccable, and the instructor is obviously impressed. When Albany finishes, the instructor nods approvingly and says, "Very nice. Full marks. But, you need to look a bit happier. Or if you can't look happy, look vicious. You just look sad." Albany gives a tiny nod and turns back to her dummy.
"You know, Albany, she's right," says a tall girl with long, silvery blonde hair. "You look too serious, lighten up! Don't you want to train to win the Hunger Games? I sure do!"
"Maylee, I don't really want to. I don't want to hurt or kill other people. I don't want to learn how to fight," Albany says.
"But you're so good! You're the best one here!" Maylee exclaims with a toss of her blonde hair. "You don't even want to, but you're the best!"
"I want to please my aunt and uncle, and they want me to train. So, I do try and I do want to do well. But I don't ever want to go into the Games." Albany looks down at the ground. "Anyways, we should get back to training. The instructors will be mad if we don't get to work."
Maylee nods, and the two girls continue demolishing their dummies. All throughout the room, children are being taught to be vicious and bloodthirsty. They are being brainwashed by the instructors to think that they want to kill other children. Their innocence is being ripped from them, and they are being transformed into monsters.