XIII

"Albany, darling, I'm glad you came out. We were just about to start watching the videos. Here, take a seat." Viyla pats the spot next to her on the couch. She taps the black, curved piece of glass and the video begins.
  First is District 1. The district is bright and sunny, which mirrors the attitude of the crowd. They are stamping their feet and cheering, obviously excited. The District 1 tributes are gorgeous and muscular, both 18 year old volunteers. The girl, Ambrosia, has long dirty blonde hair that cascades in waves over her shoulders and bright blue eyes. She is tall and lean and waves to the audience happily. She is holding hands with her district partner, Flint. He has short-cropped brown hair and eyes so dark they look black. His huge muscles ripple as he waves to the audience. He turns to Ambrosia, and they and grins maliciously. They turn back to the crowd, loving the attention.
Next is Albany's Reaping, but Viyla skips past that since they already know what happens.
District 3 is cloudy and glum. The audience is silent, staring at their feet and shuffling around. The District 3 tributes look pale and scrawny. The girl, Caia, is terribly skinny. Her cheekbones jut out from her white face and there doesn't appear to be an ounce of fat on her body. It looks like one gentle breeze would blow her away. She looks to be about 16. The boy, Kali, wears huge glasses that make his eyes look like bug eyes. He, too, is skinny, and his Adam's apple sticks out from his neck. He appears to be about 15 or 16.
  It's a bright day in District 4, the sunlight illuminating the faces of all the strong citizens. They are all excited, and some of the kids are even smiling. The District 4 tributes are tanned and strong. The girl, Seraphina, has chestnut colored hair and brown eyes. She is about 18. The boy, Jace, is a volunteer. Tall, lean, and handsome, he is sure to be a crowd favorite. He flips his blonde hair out of his eyes and waves to the crowd.
  Next is District 5. The citizens of District 5 look bored and tired. Most of the adults are still in their work clothes. They stare with disinterest as the tributes are chosen. The girl, Electra, looks very intelligent. She surveys the crowd with an air of superiority, as if the entire thing is beneath her. Her long, red hair is braided and hangs down her back. She is about 13. The boy, Ari, is obviously 12. He is far under 5 feet tall, and he scampers up the stage stairs so quickly that he trips and falls. He gets up slowly, face flaming red, tears streaming down his face.
  District 6 looks very hot. Everyone is sweating and squinting through the glaring sunlight. The girl, Alegra, has a bright red face and pigtails. She walks up to the stage and then freezes in terror. She has to be dragged into the stage by the Peacekeepers. The boy, Ivan, is about 14 with light brown hair and angular features. He stares at the ground the entire time, not looking up even once.
  The citizens of District 7 are restless. The escort has a hard time getting them to quiet down so she can choose the tributes. The girl, Pippa, beams brightly at the audience. She is only 12, but she walks with a cheerful confidence. The boy, Finnigan, has black hair and a brooding expression. He and Pippa look like night and day next to each other.
  The District 8 town square is filled with the sound of coughing. Fine cotton dust floats through the air. The girl that is chosen, Aviana, is about 17. She has short brown hair and coal black eyes. She is tall and lithe, and she moves with a grace uncommon in District 8 tributes. The boy, Winslow is 18 and very tall. Although he is a few inches taller than Aviana, he looks intimidated by her. He keeps glancing at her with a fearful expression.
  It is a rainy day in District 9, and the people are grumbling unhappily as they are drenched by the fat rain drops. The girl, Cyra, looks disgruntled as her perfectly curled brown hair is slowly flattened and her green dress is darkened with water. She is about 18. The boy, Sacha, has dark skin and dark hair. He is muscular and strong, but he looks very kind. He has warm brown eyes and a wide smile.
  District 10 looks the same as it does every year; downtrodden and dirty. The people mostly wear overalls and patched shirts. The girl, Tana, looks sullen and grumpy. She glares at everybody and tosses her brown hair angrily. She is wearing a pair of patched overalls and and farm boots. The boy, Pirro, wears a similar outfit. He just looks scared, with wide eyes and a quivering chin. He is about 14.
  District 11's citizens look tired and defeated. They shuffle into the town square, where they stand silently. The girl that is Reaped, Vita, has caramel colored skin and dark brown hair. She looks strong and sturdy. The boy, Oren, is tan and lean. He looks tired and he slumps onto the stage.
  Lastly is District 12. The phrase 'save the best for last' definitely doesn't apply here. District 12 is very dusty, with coal dust covering most of the buildings and streets. The girl that is chosen, Eda, has black hair and pale skin. She is petrified and her brown eyes are darting around the town square. The boy, Tait, is 18 and looks like he just came out of a mine. His face is smeared with coal dust and he is wearing grimy work clothes.
  "Well, you two," Viyla says as she switches it off. "That has certainly given you something to think about. Head off to your rooms and try to get some sweet. You start training tomorrow."