3:55am

3:55am

the girls raced across the basement after shutting the door to the ovens behind them. there was no way they could help susannah anymore and their numbers were dwindling quickly. jane was first in line as they raced towards the door that led out to the lobby, behind her was vienna, and last was glenda

the last of them was almost out the door when something nearby caught the material of the sweater she was wearing. by then, jane and vienna were long gone, but not too far away. they were close enough that they could hear glenda's screaming as she called them for help. "vienna! jane! help me, i'm stuck!" her other hand reached forward in the dark to feel what she was stuck to. it felt like a cold metal handle that she pulled at to get herself free, but her sweater was latched on securely.

her two remaining friends returned to her aid, vienna tried to see through the darkness at what was keeping her friend there. "ugh. you would get stuck, you arschloch." she rolled her eyes at her.

jane gulped in fear. "she's stuck to the electricity lever."

"so?" vienna shrugged. "just grab her arm and pull."

and the heiress did just that. grabbing onto glenda's slender arm, she pulled her in the opposite direction, trying to pry her apart from whatever she was stuck to. jane stood there frozen. if they pulled the lever down too hard, it would go down and turn on all the lights in the basement. and the basement was the most frightening part of the hospital.

"help me, jane!" vienna hissed, but jane wouldn't budge.

it took her a couple of minutes to pry her terrified friend from the metal lever her sweater got stuck to. and when she did, what jane had been fearing happened. the lever was pulled down and the lights in the basement switched on one by one with loud thump sounds.

jane looked away in horror. the things in the giant glass display boxes had given her nightmares for years. and they seemed to have the same effect on vienna and glenda because both girls stood there frozen in terror, their eyes darting in all directions, taking in all the horrifying things in the basement of the hospital.

on the right side, the nearest glass cabinet contained the skeleton of a dead baby, as if proudly on display for everyone to see. but it wasn't any ordinary baby, the skeleton in the cabinet had been put there because it had belonged to one of their patients, and it had two horns protruding from his head. vienna price took another step forward to see the next one, where there were pictures of a man with a womanly body, and a woman with a manly body. 

but it was the third one that truly sent a chill down her spine.

she read the plaque on the box before even looking at it first. "nancy huntington..." she read off the old gold plated plaque. it was a name she knew well, but the plaque looked as though it had been there for years. and when she looked up, she jumped back in horror, bringing her hands to her face while a blood curling scream escaped her lips. 

there, in the glass box, was nancy's body. it had been chopped in pieces by body part, and each bit was labeled with medical information written on a card next to it. vienna finally looked to her head to see her eyes wide open, but dull and lifeless. she was definitely dead. the heiress was finally snapped out of her horrified trance by a loud scream that filled her ears. it was nancy's voice screaming for help. but as she looked at her head, just hanging off a hook in the glass cabinet, her lips weren't moving.

jane swallowed her fears and hurried further into the room where vienna was standing. she grabbed her arm and dragged her out of the basement, locking it behind them.

-

another update for you all. i know it has been a week since i last updated, but now i will be update much more often than that. maybe two to three times a week (mondays, wednesdays, and possibly fridays but fridays are a maybe) until this book ends. because i already wrote it. i finished it today, and its just going to sit in my google docs until i post each chapter.

im trying hard to avoid making this a cliche story, which is why it used to take way longer to update. but i think i have the hang of it now.

so thank you for reading.

have a blessed week!

-clary xx