Chapter 7 ~ The true face of the king

Helke couldn't help but feel slightly neglected as she woke up the next morning without thranduil but she understood, he had duties he was bound to. She heard a loud snore from by the side of the bed and looked down to see ringa lying on his back.
"You big softy" she giggled and slipped quietly out of bed. She washed and changed before making up her mind to try and make amends with legolas. But first she wanted to take a walk. Ringa woke when she opened the balcony doors and bounded out after his mistress happily. She breathed in the cold winter air happily whilst ringa's belly scales glowed as he warmed himself. Helke heard the voice of an Elleth coming from the stables. A voice she wanted to avoid. She walked as fast as she could past the stable but no fast enough.
"Ah, helke" Ithil drawled as she stepped out of the stables. Her face showed mocking and coldness though she was very beautiful. She raised a perfect eyebrow at helke's feet when she saw she wore no shoes. Helke attempted to hide her feet by pulling down her dress but failed.
"Fiancé of the king and can't afford shoes?"
"No! I just prefer not to wear them" she almost snapped, surprised by her own time.
"So do orcs" ithil sneered. Ringa growled. Helke felt pathetic as she tried not to cry. 'Its only words' she told herself. "Aw, is ickle helke going to cry?" Ithil mocked.
"No" helke rasped though her throat felt thick.
"Wouldn't surprise me. From what I've heard you can't even stand up for yourself without running to the king. Pathetic. The poor man. How does he wake up to the sight of you each day? I mean, just look at those eyes" she drawled smoothly causing helke to burst into tears. She had always been so sensitive about her eyes. Whilst thranduil's late wife had the most amazing blue sparkling eyes whereas hers were white, slightly unnerving combined with her black Iris's. Ithil ducked as ringa blew purple flames towards her before running after helke. She felt so pathetic as she slid down a paddock wall behind a corner. Maybe Ithil was right-
No.
She looked down at the engagement ring that sparkled encouragingly back at her. Thranduil had given her this for a reason. He was a king for heavens sake! He could have the pick if any woman he wanted, but he had chosen her. That made her feel a little better. She picked herself up and headed towards the forest where she was sure legolas was on duty. As she drew closer two stern but young looking guards blocked her way with long spears. She stepped back nervously.
"Sorry my lady but we are under orders not to allow you into the forest without a designated guard" one said, sounding like he had rehearsed it.
"Oh, well that's okay, maybe you could help me actually-"
"Certainly ma'am"
She smiled to herself before continuing. "Hmm, well I was wondering if you knew where legolas was?"
"I'm afraid not ma'am today is his day off" he reported.
"Oh okay" that made her job considerably harder. "Thank you anyway" she smiled and walked back to the stables. She was about to give up when she heard legolas's voice clearly through the winter air.
"Whoa there! You'revdoing well hollynth! Don't worry everybody falls off"
She ran towards his voice and found him in the outdoor school with his horse and lunging rope and the Elleth from last night. She thought about turning away but it was too late.
"Lady helke!" Hollynth exclaimed and attempted to bow, forgetting she was on a trotting horse. She almost fell forwards but clutched the obedient horse's neck and steadied herself as legolas stopped the horse.
"Helke" she greeted her curtly making her heart fall.
"Legolas I'm sorry about yesterday" she apologised sadly.
"It- it's fine, I was over reacting. I am sorry If I upset you" he apologised.
"No" she lied. "Uh...legolas" she nudged her head over to hollynth who was attempting to get off the horse by herself. Legolas rushed forwards and helped her off. She bowed but toppled a bit when her feet reached the ground.
"My lady I am honoured to-"
"Oh don't start all that" helke rolled her eyes playfully and hollynth smiled.
"Congratulations" legolas said, looking at her ring.
"Thank you" she smiled. "It must have cost him to the ends of the earth"
"Ah yes but you forget my father has to the ends of the earth and back" legolas retorted making helke laugh.
"I will...catch you later" she winked at legolas and nodded towards hollynth before taking her leave happily.
It was two months later that Thranduil finally summoned up the courage to talk to helke about what was so heavily weighing on his mind. He found her indoors on a warming spring day reading on their bed.
"Helke?" She smiled up at him and waited.
"I..." He sighed and felt himself deflate slightly. "Helke before we get married I need to show you something" helke looked slightly panicked at these words. "Come with me" he gestured and took some keys out of a draw. With the keys he opened the large wooden door in the corner of the room which had been secrecy to helke ever since she had met thranduil.
"Thranduil what's going on?" She asked worriedly.
"Just trust me helke. Get your circlet and anklet" she did as she was told and followed him down some steep stone steps. She could feel steamy heat on her face as they reached the ground underneath their bedroom.
"Welcome to my personal baths" he said. There was a large opening in the ground of bubbling, crystal clear water.
"It's beautiful" she smiled. Why had he hidden this from her for so long? Why was he so nervous about showing her it?
"Helke this water is enchanted" he said solemnly. "It can wash away weak spells"
"That's nice"
He began to unclasp his cloak and helke rolled her eyes. "Really thranduil? It's only midday!" But his face held no joking. Once stripped he wordlessly slipped into the water and reached out, gesturing her to do the same. She did so with shaking hands.
"Helke" he stared taking her hand. "This face that you see everyday, it is not completely me..."
"What do you mean? Thranduil you're scaring me!" She said as she slipped into the water
"Just...watch but remember it is still me" she nodded as he stepped back. He scooped up some water and poured it over himself. The water seemed to take away some of his skin though he seemed to be in no pain. Half of his face was bady scared and damaged, one usually blue eye had turned milly and helke could see the muscles in his cheek. He stood in the water, allowing her time to take it all in.
"This-what- why-?"
"It happened long ago on the battlefield. I conceal it everyday with magic and come down here when I truly want to be myself" he explained gesturing about.
"Does it hurt?" She asked, raising a timid hand to his scarred cheek.
"No..." There was another silence as helke examined the damage, more closely this time. "I-I understand if you no longer wish to marry me-"
"Thranduil" she sighed. "I have known you a very long time. A few scraps do not make a difference. I still love you. All of you" she hugged his waist and he sighed in relief and kissed her long white hair.