Twenty Four

Nash's POV

The loss of my little brother has been really hard on me and I don't think I can take it anymore. I'm still living when Hayes should be the one still living. I'm here while he is not. I don't deserve to be here. Hayes deserves to be here instead.

Matt's POV

"Let me go check up on Nash," I say and Alyssa nods in my lap. She lifts her head so I can stand up.

When I stand up, I hear a gunshot. Alyssa jumps up and I rush to her side protectively. It sounded like the gunshot came from upstairs.

"Stay here," I tell her.

"No, Matt," Alyssa says sternly. "What if there is someone that broke in?"

"I'll be fine," I say even though I'm not so sure myself. "Just stay here. Got it?"

She slowly nods her head and I know well right she will probably follow me about twenty feet behind. 

I slowly but surely walk to the staircase. I look at the steps before placing my left foot on the first step. Foot after foot, I make my way up the stairs and closer to the place the gunshot likely came from.

I check room after room and find nothing. There is only one room left and it is Nash's room. Oh gosh. What if something bad has happened? I shakily twist the doorknob and swing the door open.

I think I'm going to be sick.

Alyssa's POV

I follow after Matt a safe distance behind just like he probably thought I would in the first place. He checks every room except Nash's, which is the last door.

When he opens the door, he stops and doesn't move. Concerned and curious, I close the gap between us and peer over his shoulder.

I think I'm going to hurl.