Thirty

Matt's POV

I go around the house, looking for a note, but there isn't one. Her car is still parked in the driveway.

Not being able to stand not having her with me, I go into Jack G's room and wake him up roughly.

"Why the heck do you want?" He groans as he is awaken from his deep sleep.

"Dude, I can't find Alyssa," I tell him and he rolls away from me.

"She probably went to the store to get some tampons or something," he says.

"No," I say. "She went to the bathroom and never came back. Her car is in the driveway. It's been two hours, man, and I'm worried sick right now."

He jumps up, wide awake and I wonder why.

"Dude, we need to find her," he says. "What if she was kidnapped or soenthing?"

"She didn't get kidnapped," I say, throwing that idea away.

"She was kidnapped before, wasn't she?" Jack asks me. I nod my head and looks at me like I am an idiot. "It could've happened again, Matt. Dang. Think for yourself this once."

"I highly doubt she was kidnapped again, Jack." I dismiss the idea.

"You're an idiot," he tells me. "We need to call the police. Let them know that he should be here but she isn't."

"Good idea." I take his phone from the nightstand and type in his password that I of course know. I dial 911 and press call.

I hold it to my ear as it rings.

"Hello, 911, what's your emergency?" A lady on the other end says.

"My wife is missing. She was going to the bathroom but she never came back," I say into the phone.

"How long has she been gone, sir?" She asks me.

"About two and a half hours," I answer.

"Well, sir, since it hasn't been 24 hours, we can't do any investigation. Sorry. Call tomorrow when it's been 24 hours."

"But, you have to do something."

"I'm sorry. Goodbye." She hangs up.

"B****," I curse out loud.

"What?" Asks Jack.

"They say I can't report her missing until 24 hours after her disappearance," I tell him and place my head in my hands. Tears threaten to leave my eyes and I worry that something bad has happened to my beloved wife.

"Hey." I feel a hand rubbing my back and then the tears start streaming down my face. "It'll be okay. You won't lose her. We'll find Alyssa, Matt."

"I sure hope so."