1. The Discovery

And if you lose yourself, I will find you.
---------------------------------------------------------
Emily staggered through the mine, having finally given up her pride. She sniffed and tried to wipe her smeared mascara from her face.

"MATT!" She called loudly, even though she knew it was in vain.

She was about to turn and search for an exit, when she heard something, a footstep, coming from a small opening behind her.

Emily stood, silent as can be, waiting for something else to happen. She took a quiet breath, slowly moving her torch towards the sound. Her shoes patted against the ground.

"Crap," she muttered, "why do these shoes have to be so loud?"

She heard some shuffling coming from where she first heard the footsteps.

"Please," said a voice. "Please don't kill me, I'm just trying to survive and find my friends! My friends are still looking for me!"

Emily's facial features went from scared to intrigued. Was this.... Beth?

"I'm not going to kill you," said Emily. She peeked her head into the opening.
"I promise."

The figure slowly lifted up its head. Beth.

Emily stepped back in awe. It was Beth. The Beth that went missing last year.

"Emily?" said Beth, happiness crawled onto her face.
"Beth?" Emily responded. "Oh my god!"

Emily pushed herself through the opening and threw her arms around Beth.

"I'm so so so sorry Beth," she said, starting to cry.
Beth only wrapped her arms tighter around her.

All of a sudden, worry coursed through Emily.
"Where's Hannah?"
Beth pulled away and smiled at me sadly.
"I saw her fall down here during the fall-"
"What fall?"
"Oh yeah," Beth laughed. "I need to start from the beginning. So, I chased after Hannah into the forest. To the left, there was a trail of footprints, so I followed that. I ran and ran. When all of a sudden, a cabin or something caught on fire. I turned on my phone to use as a flashlight, and then I saw Hannah. I turned around, and there was this, thing. We ran, and then we got cornered at the edge of a cliff. I was so scared, I didn't want to die! We kept backing up, until we fell. I somehow managed to grab a branch and Hannah. Some guy wearing a gas mask reached out his hand. I think he wanted to help. But I couldn't let go of Hannah, so I let go of the branch. We fell."
Tears rolled down Beth's cheeks.
"I'm so sorry, Beth."
"It's my fault too," Beth responded.
"What?"
"I could've stopped the prank. I mean, I read the letter, but I just wandered around the kitchen like an idiot while it happened. "
Emily was silent. She sniffed.
"It's okay, Emily. We're together now."
Emily smiled at her. "Let's go."