Chapter 10

I wake up to someone beating on my door. I growl and turn over to get comfortable. The noise stops and I smile, cuddling down into the blankets with my stuffed panda. I drift off again and roll over before smelling someone's cologne. I grumble and check for chakra presences. I'm hit by a large one in front of me and my eyes snap open. I find Gaara looking down at me with a small smirk on his face. I scramble backward and slip off the edge of the bed. From my spot on the floor, I can hear him chuckle before his sand picks me up. I hear more knocking and scowl. The sand puts me down and disappears out of the bedroom and I hear the front door open.
"Thanks. What are you doing here anyway?" I ask, yawning and stretching.
"We're waiting on you so we can leave."
"I forgot! My bad." I look around and remember I'd already packed and showered the night before, so I just need to dress. I look down and blush, realizing that I'm only in a pair of paint splattered shorts and a sports bra. I pull my clothing for the day off the dresser and use it to cover my chest as I scurry into the bathroom. I can hear Temari and Kankuro arguing in the living room. I dress in a pair of black shorts, a purple t-shirt, a black sleeveless hoodie and purple thigh highs. I pull my hair back into a high ponytail after trying my protector around my thigh and putting my headphones on. I brush my teeth and put on deodorant before coming out into the bedroom again.
Gaara is seated on my bed but is staring at the pictures tucked into the frame of the mirror over my dresser. I move to the dresser and put my belt on along with my backpack before taking a final look to make sure I didn't forget anything.
"How'd you get in?" I ask.
"Window."
"But-" I swear I shut and locked it.
"You left it open."
"Pervert." I mutter.
He ignores my comment by changing the subject. "Who are they?"
"My families."
"What happened to them?"
"Nothing." I mutter before crossing to the window to lock it.
He leaves the conversation where it is and we go out into the living room. Temari is staring at the picture wall while Kankuro is nowhere to be seen. She nods her head toward the door and I understand. I don't want that creep in my house anyway. I walk into the kitchen to grab a sandwich and a soda. I slide on my shoes and take a last look around before locking the door behind us. I'll be back in a month.
I greet their sensei and we head out, Kankuro walking next to Baki and myself behind them between Gaara and Temari. I eat my sandwich and drink my soda which finally fully wakes me up. I get to leave the village! I'm FREE!
"What's Suna like, Gaara-kun?"
"Hot. Covered in sand. It's the desert, Kaida."
"Right... I knew that."
I pull out my camera and take a picture with Temari with both of us grinning wide. I jump into Gaara's arms and Temari takes a picture of us. He looks slightly amused, but doesn't really show it. I jump down and convince them to take a group picture with me. I put the camera away as we reach the village gates. I take a deep breath before walking through the gates.
"I'm free! Free at last! I've never felt more ALIVE!" I shout.
"Shut up, you're so annoying." Kankuro mutters.
"Bite me you little pervert."
"You wouldn't let me." He responds with a shrug.
"Like I'd want you touching me you little-"
"Kankuro, shut up and leave her alone. I heard about what happened. If you go anywhere near her you will regret it." Baki threatens.
Kankuro huffs and turns back around, stalking off ahead of us.
"How much longer?" I ask.
"Two days."
"That's forever! Gaara! I demand you carry me all the way there!"
"No."
"Fine then. Breaking into my room and climbing in my bed... Hide your children, hide your wives, Gaara's breaking into your houses and snatching them up..."
"What?"
"I don't know."
"Okay then."
I stick out my tongue at him before Temari speaks up.
"So, Kaida, what was with you and Shikamaru that day in the tower?"
"What about it?" I ask, knowing what she's talking about.
"You kissed!" She squeals.
"His cheek."
"Mhmm... Hey Gaara, looks like you have competition."
He and I fix a glare at her at the same time, causing her to back away while giggling.
"You jealous Gaara-kun?" I ask, looking up at him.
"No."
"You're lying."
He raises an eyebrow and I lean in and kiss his cheek before running and jumping on Temari's back.
"Onward noble steed! How long has it been?"
"Ten minutes."
---------

    I've been in Suna for a week now and it's really hot. For the most part, I've spent it exploring the village and finding places to train or hide away at. Kankuro and I avoid each other like the plague. Temari and I hang out a lot during the day while Gaara and I spend every night sitting on the roof together. I walked with him yesterday afternoon through the village and I sadly got to see how the villagers treat him. They look at him as if he's a monster and I don't see it. His life is very similar to Naruto's and in some ways, my own. It's sad. Gaara and I have gotten closer though, and he's opened up a little about his past.
I crawl through the window and out onto the rooftop, making no notable noise. My chakra is hidden so I don't have to worry about anyone noticing it. I peer over the edge of the roof to find my target seated on the other side facing the village. I leap suddenly over the roof and onto the target's back. The target doesn't slide at all from the impact but looks over to find my head on his shoulder. I grin at him sweetly.
"Did I scare you?"
"No."
"Aww, I tried really hard."
I push myself up and flip over him, landing carefully in front of him.
"Fight me!"
"What?"
"Sparring. Let's go! I haven't sparred against you yet. It'll be fun!"
"You won't win."
"Watch me Sand Boy." I taunt with a smirk.
---

A/N: Sorry for the short part, but it was a good stopping point! Comment/rate/message, let me know your thoughts!