chapter 1

The stars were shining extra bright that night. The trees were dancing to the rhythm of softly singing wind. Somewhere in the distance, the bird flapped its wings but all this was lost on her. All she could hear was her pounding heart and the crunching noise her running feet made when they touched the forest floor littered with dead leaves. She ran as if her life depended on it. She didn't know why but she felt a certain pull towards that forest and all she knew was that she had to reach the other end of this forest. Her foot got caught in the root and she fell down and blood started to ooze out of her forehead but she didn't care. How could a small cut stop her now, when she was almost there?

She could see his silhouette in the moonlight. She stopped to take a breath. He was facing away from her but she was sure he was the one for whom she ran like a lunatic and came here. She took a deep breath and started walking towards him. When she was three steps away from him she stopped. He was wearing black jeans and black shirt. His black messy hair was shining under moon light. She opened her mouth to say something but no words came out.

"You came," he said in a deep voice.

"Yes," she whispered. He turned around to face her but before she could see his face a voice called.

"Get up Kayla. You are late," my mom said while yanking the quilt off of me. I groaned internally. What an impeccable timing mom!

"Five more minutes mom. Please," I groaned sleepily. I wanted to go back to the dream and see his face but...

"No honey, get up. You are late for school."

I rubbed my eyes and got up. My mom kissed me on the forehead and went downstairs.

I took a bath, came out and wore my blue jeans and light pink floral shirt. I gave myself a last look in the mirror and saw a seventeen year old girl looking back at me through her green eyes. She was tall, slender and had dark brown, long hair with slight curls up to her waist. Satisfied with myself I grabbed my bag and shut the door to my room and walked downstairs. I live with my parents and my older brother, Kris. Besides my looks and eyes I'm nothing like my mother. I'm my father in many ways. We both are fun loving, nature loving and love supernatural stuff and music.

"Mom, give me breakfast. I'm late," I shouted while running down the stairs.

"You should try to get up early honey," my mom shouted back as I reached the kitchen.

"Jeez! easy mom. I can hear you," I said widening my eyes. My dad chuckled while my mom rolled her eyes at him. I'm my father's princess. He would do anything for me. My parents bicker almost all the time but in a loving way. Usually my dad would tease my mother and Kris and I would enjoy their bickering.

I went to my dad and gave him a hug. "Come here sweetie," he said patting the chair besides him. "Come and have breakfast with your old man."

"No dad sorry, can't sit. I'm very late," I said pouting.

He laughed and then nodded. "Yes, you are right. You should run."

I took the sandwich my mom prepared for me and ran out the door.

It took me fifteen minutes to walk to the school. It was Monday and Chaz was coming back to school after spending a whole week at his aunt's home. He is my good friend, who also happens to be the same person I have a crush on. He is smart, handsome and tall and has blonde hair which is always in Mohawk style and his eyes; they are piercing blue. He always makes me smile and I've a feeling that he knows I like him. I ran towards my locker, placed my backpack in there and took out my History, Arts and English books.
I stood at the door and scanned the classroom for Chaz but couldn't spot him anywhere. I frowned and gave an audible sigh when someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned around and my jaw dropped.
"Aaron!"