Chapter 2

Alec was shown to CS Jenkinson's office by a WPC, who was giving him the eye but he wasn't there to make friends, well he'd no clues as to why he actually was there, he'd barely had time to think since waking up in that hotel room and the owner telling him he tried to chat her up on his arrival, which he didn't remember.  The ID he had on him had indicated he'd come from a place called Sandbrook and he was a detective inspector but not many other clues as to why he was in a town called Broadchurch, by the sea of all places when he knew one thing, that he hated any kind of water.

When he'd woken up, gasping for breath as the knocking on the door had increased, he'd been in a river and was fighting to get to the riverbank and he was carrying a child, a young girl but that's all he knew.  Maybe he needed to see a shrink?  He'd not worried too much on his way to the station about the other details such as the strip of pills he'd found in his other pocket and he'd not looked at his phone properly to check for any missed called or contacts.  Why had he no memories though?  Had he been suffering some kind of trauma, from being in the water?  Maybe his new chief could shed some light.

"Ah, Alec, have a seat.  Have you settled into your hotel?" the CS asked as she'd called for him to enter.

"As well as can be expected.  Am I supposed to find my own accommodation?"

"We can keep you in the hotel for now while you find something suitable.  You have an excellent record despite what happened in your last case, that was very unfortunate but since you were not entirely to blame, I'm willing to give you this chance to redeem yourself.  There is one thing though."

He thought there always was.  "What might that be?"

"I've had to let one of my officers down, DS Miller, she was expecting to get a promotion when she returns from leave, she may be a little hostile towards you but she's a good officer, she'll work well with you.  You may have some misgivings about working with a woman though."

"Oh, why is that then?"

"Come on Alec, everyone knows what happened between you and your ex wife."

He wasn't one of them.  "What does everyone think happened?"

"That you took the blame for what happened over Sandbrook to cover for her so your daughter wouldn't find out, that was very noble of you."

That was news to him but now he thought about it, why didn't he know?  Had he suffered a blow to the head or had he fallen down a rabbit hole?  At least now he knew he had an ex wife and daughter, how old she was supposed to be, he'd no idea but maybe that was her photo he had in his wallet?

"Yes, well, I'd rather forget about that and concentrate on the future.  Do you want me to start right away?"

"You can start on Monday, get settled in."

"Well I would rather make a start, if someone can show me my office?  I do get one?"

"Yes, you do and I'll get your new ID with Wessex Police sorted out for Monday plus a work mobile.  Do you need a car?"