Chapter 8

Alec was waiting in his car just before seven, the nervousness not yet wearing off but when he saw Rose in the doorway, some of it began to disappear, she'd at least turned up.  She got into the car and he greeted her.

"You look nice Rose, I hope you weren't too rushed?"

"No, it's ok and thanks for the flowers, they were lovely, Becca was jealous."

"I bet she was.  I can't figure out why she's so mad at me.  Can't you drop a few hints and find out what I'm meant to have done?"

Rose giggled.  "Yeah, you know what us women are like.  I'll see what I can get out of her in the morning, I'm sure I'll have plenty to tell her."

"I'm sure you will."

Alec pulled up near the restaurant and was surprised Rose didn't wait to be let out so he locked the car and held out his arm, which she took and smiled at him.  The evening went well, at least Alec thought it was going well, he couldn't for the life of him remember ever taking a woman out on a dinner date, he must have taken his so-called ex wife out on dinner dates, surely?  That was worrying him, meeting up with his ex or even his daughter and he'd have to try and put it off for as long as possible.  He was going to ask Rose if she meant to keep her word and at least tell him some of it.

They had moved to the bar area and Rose watched as he sipped a bottle of non-alcoholic lager, he was taking no chances.

"Have you thought any more about your condition Alec?" Rose asked him.

"No, should I?"

"Well yeah, that was the idea.  I can help you with your memory but that's it, the rest is up to you.  I'll talk to Pete tomorrow, maybe there are some experimental techniques you can try?"

Alec smiled and took her hand.  "You mean like beaming in a pacemaker?"

"Very funny Alec.  Pete will get someone onto it but it's up to you what you have done about it.  You've not actually heard what any of the experts have said, have you?"

"Not that I can recall.  I don't like this Rose, all this not knowing so when are you going to tell me anything?"

She felt so sorry for him – this was not his fault and she desperately wanted to tell him but it would do him a lot more harm than good at this stage as she couldn't come right out and tell him they thought he was an alien from another planet and an alternate universe, well not in his current state of health anyway.

"Alec, I'd like nothing better than to be able to tell you but we have to take this slowly.  We should go somewhere else and talk, my hotel room?"

Alec smiled.  "You intend parading me in front of Becca Fisher do you?"

"Well you wanted to know what you'd done to her," Rose teased, finishing her drink.

"I have a better idea, my caravan, you can show me off to her another time.  If I didn't know better, I would think you were stalling me."