lime 'a' suga drink

dear diary,
I watched a flock of swallows migrate north today, and they kind of reminded me of my inmates and I. we're all heading in the same direction. death. but then I saw 2 of them leave the group, and they headed west. where it was sunnier, and brighter. while the rest of the flock flew towards the foggy black and grey mountains. those 2 birds were lucky. me? not so much.

✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐

I am sick. And I am disgusted.

I wave over a nurse outside my door, "Could you please get me a glass of water?"

She nods her head and turns to leave.

"Oh! And a lime and a bit of sugar?" I flash her a smile.

With brow furrowed, she smiles, nods, and leaves.

She returns not long after with what I asked for, "Here you go, hun."

After having left the room,—the nurse not me— I snicker, "Hun. Be more southern won't ya?"

I take the slice of lemon and pour it into the water, then I grab the pathetic amount of sugar and sprinkle it into the cup.

"That should do it," after having mixed the ingredients with a spoon, I raise the cup to my lips.

"What the hell are you doing?"

I nearly choke on the drink. Wheezing, I turn towards the door. And who do I see? None other than good old Peter Cade.

Rolling my eyes, I continue drinking my concoction.

Pushing himself off the doorframe, he makes his way towards me. "What is that?"

Sighing, I face him. "I have a fever."

"Okay.."

"So..."

"So why are you drinking that?"

"It's something my mom taught me."

There's a long pause, "And??"

"Can you just shut up for a minute!"

He does.

I drink.

I burp.

He speaks.

"But honestly why—"

"Peter!"

"It's been a minute!"

I place my empty cup on my desk in defeat, "It helps maintain it."

"The fever?"

"Mrrerrremmmm."

"Are you okay..?"

"I'm. Fine." I hiss, slowly breathing out.

"Good, because I brought something to make amends."

I hear something wrinkle behind his back as he pulls it out. The scent of mayonnaise and grease fills my nostrils.

"No. Fucking. Way."

I practically rip the McChicken out of his hand, unwrapping the beautiful diabetic mess.

Just as I'm about to sink my teeth into the obviously fake meat, I catch Peter staring at me. Smiling.

I wait for him to stop. He doesn't. I wait. He stares.

Wait.

Stares.

Wait.

Stares.

I uncomfortably place the burger on my lap, "Hey.. didn't you rant off about how unhealthy McDonalds was a few days ago?"

"Yes... but in my defense, I was talking about the French fries."

He's still smiling. Dammit.

"Thanks for the burger kid, but your gonna have to try a lot harder than that."

"How hard?"

"Pretty hard."

"Got it," and with that, he leaves just as fast as he came. Which felt like a fucking long time.

Chapter 10, 1994