Chapter 7

“Harry, go to the corner of the room. Now.” I say out of the corner of my mouth. He nods and walks over. “Please turn on the recorder.” I say louder. He does as he’s told. I turn to the man in the chair, no longer my father.

      “Hello, would you mind telling us your name?” I ask, standing as far away as possible.

      “I think you already know it. Or do you not recognize your own father?” He sneers.

      “You are not my father.” I state.

      “Whatever, sweetheart.” He replies lazily.

      “Are you going to admit to killing our mum, our aunt, our uncle, and Louis’ parents?” I ask.

      “Oh, does little girlie have a crush on Louis.” He snarls.

      “Stop!" I say, losing my resolve.

      “What, do you not like me teasing your little boyfriend? Yeah right, you are just as ugly as your mother, this Louis couldn’t like you.” He snarls.

      “Shut up, you wanker!” Harry yells.

      “Haz, stop, I can handle this.” I say to him calmly.

      “He has no right to say this to you!” Harry shouts.

      “Aw, do the little siblings have a special bond?” He mocks. I turn back to the man who used to be my father.

      “Now, listen here, we all know you killed my mum. We all know you killed my aunt and uncle. And we all know you killed Louis’ parents. Just admit to it, and this stupid little family gathering can be over with.” I say, looking him in the eye the entire time.

      “Yeah, sure I killed them all. It was too easy. Your mum was weak, she didn’t even fight back. Just waited there to die, I guessed you found her, right? How did it feel to find your mum dead on the floor? Then, I tracked down little Hazza, here, killed his uncle. That was easy too, Anne’s brother was always weak, just like her. You were harder to find, it seemed like Anne tried hard to hide you. But I found you, eventually. Then you were both sent away, I couldn’t find you.

      “But I tried. Oh, how I tried. I sent countless people after you, but they just were trying to find you. I wanted to do it myself. I tried burning down his house, I tried by going into that Louis boy’s house, and even on the trips you took with the orphanage. None of which I could get it done. I have waited so long for the chance to kill you both. I could never get it done, mostly to my own carelessness. But now, it’s different.”

      And then it’s all black.

     I feel like I am floating on air. I can hear people around me, but I can’t see them. I hear sirens and shuffling. And laughing, terrible laughing.

     “I did it! I finally did it!” The laughing voice cheers. The laughing dies down and now all I can hear is sirens and people shouting.

     “Lydia! Lydia! You have to let us go, please!” I hear a voice I think is Harry scream.

     “Please!” I hear a Doncaster accent say. Louis? Why is he so loud? What is going on?

    “You can meet her at the hospital, right now she is in an unstable condition! Please, sir, back away!” I hear a low voice explain. Who’s hurt? The loudness dies away and I hear some strange voices talking.

     “She is losing a lot of blood, Dave, what do we do?” A woman asks.

     “Staunch the flow, Dina!” The low voice says. All of a sudden I feel like something is choking me. I try to breathe and to breathe, but I can’t.

     “She’s stopped breathing!” Dina cries.

    "Get the shocker pads!” Dave yells. I hear a charge. “3, 2, 1, clear!” He shouts. I feel a large shock, but I can breathe again.

      “She is still losing a lot of blood!” That’s all I can remember before it goes all hazy.

     I can’t move or open my eyes. I feel someone holding my hand but I don’t know who. I hear a steady beating, like a heart monitor. I finally understand, I am in a hospital and he shot me. A male voice I have never heard before starts speaking.

      “She will need a blood transfusion for the surgery, and she has a very unique blood type. We don’t have enough at the hospital to perform the surgery. Right now she is in a medical induced coma, but without the surgery, she won’t be stable for long.” The male says.

       “I’m her brother, I probably have the same blood type!” I hear Harry say desperately.

      “That is not always the case, but you can go down to the blood office and find out. Go now, here’s a pass.” I hear a door open and close. “I’ll leave you alone now.” The person he is speaking to must nod, because the next thing I hear is the door open and close.

      “Lydia, they say sometimes coma patients can hear what’s going on, so I’m giving it a shot. You are going to be fine, I know it. Your dad, he was caught and is now in a maximum security prison. Harry wasn’t injured when your dad pulled the gun. He tackled him after that.

      “Harry is going to see if he has the same blood type as you. I hope he does, because if he doesn’t I don’t know what I’ll do. I really need you here. I might sound selfish, but you have been perfect the past couple of days.

      “You are one of the nicest people I have ever met, and especially considering what you have been through. Lydia, I’m only saying this because I think you can’t hear me, but, I like you, Lydia, a lot.” I hear Louis say.

      I try to open my eyes and mouth to tell him I like him too, but I can’t. I even try just to squeeze his hand, but I can’t even do that. I just have to smile on the inside and know that when, and if, I wake up, I can tell him I like him too. I hear a door open.

      “Hey Lou, I have the same type, so they are going to perform the surgery today!” Harry tells him.

      “That’s good.” Louis replies softly. That’s all I remember.