Seven: reward and chaos rising

Emma's P.O.V:

Even though I'd never say it out loud, I'm not sure if Allison's bruise means anything. However, she's pretty determined to find out its secret, so I just do what Scott tells me and call Derek on our free period.

He gets to school pretty annoyed that we interrupted his werewolf daily activities for a bruise Allison Argent wants to show him.

He intently stares at both Allison and Lydia's wrists. Apparently, a girl looking for Scott left them exactly the same bruise.

"I don't see anything," the Alpha sighs.

Stiles and I are sitting over the tables, trying to support the situation, but mostly just messing with each other.

"Look again," Scott pleads, not wanting to disappoint Allison.

"How's that a bruise is going to tell me where Erica and Boyd are?" Derek asks, looking at Allison.

She still thinks he's guilty of her mother's death. Maybe someone should tell her what really happened that night...someone like Scott!

"It's the same in both arms; it's exactly the same," Scotts insists again.

I take a look at the neat, empty classroom and start to question why I spend more time than needed near Chemistry class.

Lydia looks like she would kill to be anywhere else right now. This is why I love Lydia.

"It's nothing," Derek states.

"Pareidolia," Lydia says. "Seeing patterns that aren't there, it's a subset of apophenia."

I had never heard the words pareidolia and apophenia in my whole life, which makes me wonder how much time Lydia spends reading.

And she still has time for perfect hair.

"Come on, Derek," I interrupt. "They just want to help."

Derek looks at me with the best serial killer look he has ever given me.

"These two?" he asks sarcastically, pointing to my friends. I can see it in Allison's eyes; she's so done with him. "This one, who used me to resurrect my psychotic Uncle." He makes a pause to look at Lydia. "Thank you," he says to her, before looking at me again. "And this one, who shot about thirty arrows to me and my pack."

"Okay," Stiles says, interrupting Allison and Derek's glares. "Now, come on; no one died! There may have been a little maiming, okay, a little mangling, but no death!"

"That's what I call an important distinction," I say, taking Stiles' side this time. I should be studying Economics, so I can sleep in class while Coach speaks.

"My mother died," Allison dryly says and my breath hitches in my throat.

"Your family's little honor code killed your mother, not us." Derek says, looking at me for one tiny second.

"That girl was looking for Scott. I'm here to help him, not you."

Luckily, Allison didn't notice.

"You wanna help? Find something real." Derek turns around and walks towards the door. He looks at me again. "And you, don't you ever call me again."

"You can't stop me," I mumble.

Allison leaves the room and Lydia loudly sighs, following her. When Scott's done talking to Derek, we walk out of the awful room and to our next class.

We walk beside the lacrosse field, discussing possibilities.

"What would a pack of Alphas want with Erica and Boyd?" Stiles asks.