End of the Hunt

A/N: This was actually quite difficult to write, not because I lacked inspiration or ideas, but because the meeting in this chapter is one of the few complete scenes I have memorized word for word from the book. So trying to get the jist of it without directly copying was a challenge. I did my best!

The next morning, Aragorn went inside the tent Miril had slept in and roused her with a gentle shake.

"It's dawn. We need to keep moving," he said to her quietly as she was still waking up.

"Why does my leg hurt so much?" she mumbled.

Aragorn smiled, "You don't remember? You nearly fainted from blood loss because you didn't get your leg wound fully treated. I stitched it up last night."

"Oh." She paused before testing her leg with help from Aragorn; it seemed stable enough.

"Breakfast is waiting for you outside. Saddle Tor and then grab some food," he ordered. "I'll make sure they save you some."

Miril nodded and went outside into the fresh air. Apparently, according to snippets of conversation she caught, the Huorns had passed by during the night. It had frightened many people. Miril had slept straight through. She found Tor and strapped on her bags, his saddle, and the reins. Then she went to get food. Gimli was there eating as well.

Both finished up their simple meal relatively quickly and went to mount their horses. Gimli, riding again atop Arod with Legolas, found the white steed beside the black Tor. The elf pulled the dwarf up behind him. Miril hopped up onto Tor and drove the horse forward to where Éomer and Aragorn were riding forward.

"When will we arrive at Isengard, do you think?" she asked.

Éomer looked at the sky. "Before midday certainly."

"There will be several hours at least until we arrive, though," finished Aragorn.

She nodded. "I look forward to it."

The company started off towards Isengard. As soon as they began, a rushing was heard and to their surprise, the River Isen began flowing once more. This confused them greatly. What did it mean?

"I wonder why the Isen flows again," Éomer muttered. "Strange this is."

"All will be made clear I'm sure when we arrive, " Gandalf assured him.

Miril trotted forward up to Aragorn. She was content to ride beside her friend and fellow ranger. She also had something she needed to do.

"Thank you, Aragorn."

He looked at her in surprise and confusion. "For what?"

"For tending my wounds last night. I am sorry I cause you such trouble," she sighed forlornly. "So thank you."

Aragorn smiled. "No need, my friend. And though truly you should take better care of yourself, it is no burden tending your wounds."

She bowed her head with a smile. Returning to silence, Miril watched as the ground turned into a path, then a road. They were approaching Isengard's outer ring. A large statue of a hand stood there, but it was broken and red as if with blood, no longer purely white. The Rohirrim were in awe.

For Isengard lay in ruins. The large, outer wall lay broken and the gates were hurled and twisted on the ground. Piles of rubble lined the road. They passed between these in wonder. The destruction was wholy awesome. They had no idea how to react. Water lay in pools all around, flooding the area.

As they passed between the gates, they halted. For a very strange thing was before them. A great rubble heap was there, and on it, almost unseen among the stone, two small figures were lying on it at their ease. No one spoke. One seemed asleep, the other sat blowing whisps and rings of blue smoke from a pipe. These two small figures didn't immediately notice the riders. Eventually, the smoking one did and he leapt up with a grin.

"Welcome, Lords, to Isengard! We are the doorwardrens. I am Merry, and my companion who alas is sleeping," here he kicked him, "is Pippin of the house of Took. We are from far in the North!"

"Was it Saruman who ordered you to guard his broken doors?" Gandalf chuckled.

"Nay! Treebeard did, as he had taken up lordship of Isengard. Saruman is within, holed up with one Wormtongue. Treebeard asked me to welcome the Lord of Rohan with fitting words." Merry shrugged. "I've done my best."

"And what about your companions!" Gimli cried, unable to hold back any longer. "A fine hunt you've led us! Through battle and death to rescue you. And here we find you sitting and feasting and smoking! Where'd you come by the weed you truants! I'm so torn between rage and joy that if I do not burst it will be a miracle!"

"You speak for me, Gimli. Though I'd prefer some wine," Legolas nodded.

"One thing you've not gained in your hunting, and that's brighter wits!" Pippin sat up. "For look at this field of victory! We've merely come by welp earned rewards and spoils!"

"You two rascals," Miril laughed. "I want to either kill you or hug you, though which I am not sure!"

The riders laughed. Theoden smiled and looked upon Merry and Pippin in wonder.

"It is plain we witness the meeting of dear friends." He turned to the wizard. "So these are the lost ones of your company, Gandalf! Strange days these are indeed. For are these not halflings, of which we used to call the Holbytlan?"

"Hobbits, sir, if you please," Merry corrected.

Theoden mulled it over, "Hobbits. Your tongue has strangely changed."

"Did Treebeard leave us some message, Merry? Or did you forget that with all your smoking?" Gandalf asked hurriedly.

"Yes he did. And I was getting to it! Treebeard said to ride around to the North. There you will find food and drink to your liking, and a meeting with Treebeard." Merry pointed.

"Very good." Gandalf nodded. "Come, Theoden."

The company of riders began the slow trek around the water and through the rubble. But Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Miril remained.

"So we found you at last," Aragorn smiled. "A fine chase we went on. And who would've thought it would end here."

"I want the tale," Miril said immediately.

"First, you shall have food and drink!" Pippin leapt up. "We saved some of the best for ourselves."

"Of course you did," Miril laughed. "Come then. Let us eat!"

Merry and Pippin led the group into a store room that was still above the flood. There they found a good store of food. Man-food, as Merry told them the ents called it. Wine also they found, and they took it outside to eat and drink.

They ate mostly in silence and soon enough they were finished. Gimli praised the hobbits for the food and said the score was close to being settled.

"Now let us smoke awhile," Pippin suggested.

"Alas," Gimli sighed. "I lost my pipe in Moria. Did you not find one in all your scavenging?"

"No. But we can share," Merry offered.

Pippin held up his hand. "Hang on a moment. I keep an extra!"

He fished out an extra pipe from a pouch around his neck. Gimli thanked him profusely.

"Now I am in your debt," the dwarf said.

They filled their pipes and began to smoke. Miril never could get the hang of smoking so she sat beside Legolas who also went without. Aragorn stretched out and blew smoke rings.

"Look! Strider's come back," Pippin cried out with a smile.

"He never left," the ranger chuckled. "I am Strider and Aragorn too. And I belong to both Gondor and the North."

They finished up and soon spoke of many things. Merry and Pippin told their tale of the orcs and of Treebeard. The hunters told of the chase and of Theoden and Helm's Deep. It was a wonderful reunion of friends.

In the end, Miril began to let her thoughts stray and she thought of Elladan and Elrohir and Halbarad. She missed the North. She missed Rivendell. She missed her companions. She wondered when she would see them again. She wondered if she would see them again.