Chapter 8

Malfoy was shocked to see us the next morning. We were tired but perfectly cheerful. In fact, Harry, Ron, and I thought it was an excellent adventure, and we're keen to have another. Harry filled Ron and I in about the package that appears to have moved from vault 713 at Gringotts to Hogwarts third floor corridor. Today we're speculating what could be in that grubby package.

"It either really valuable or really dangerous," Ron guessed.

"Or both," Harry said.

"Probably both. Why else would that dog be guarding it and that person try to steal it?" I reasoned.

But all we knew for sure about the object was that it was around two inches long, so we pretty much gave up after that first conversation.

Neither Neville nor Hermione cared in the slightest about what lay underneath the dog and tray door. Neville only cared about never going near the dog again.

Hermione also refuses to speak to us. But she's such a bossy, know-it-all, brat that this was really more of a benefit. All we want now is a way to get back at Malfoy. To our great pleasure, that something arrived.

The owls were swooping around delivering mail as usual when everyone's attention was taken by a long package carried by six, large, screech owls. Harry's broom! McGonagall did it!

The owls dropped the package into Harry's lap, knocking his bacon to the floor. They just barely flown away when another owl dropped a letter on his head. I snorted into my sausages.

Harry hit me over the head with the letter. "For laughing." He said before I could ask.

"I regret nothing!" I shouted.

Harry rolls his eyes at me and opens the letter. I read over his shoulder:

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.

It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everybody know you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session.

Professor McGonagall

Harry handed the letter to Ron to read. I share a grin with Harry.

"A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron moaned enviously. "I've never even touched one."

We left the Hall quickly, wanting to unwrap the broomstick in private, but halfway across the Entrance Hall we found the way upstairs blocked by Crabbe and Goyle. Malfoy took the package from Harry and felt it. 

"Quit it, Malfoy!" I said.

"That's a broomstick," he said, acting like I hadn't said anything. "You'll be in for it this time, Potter, first years aren't allowed them."

Ron evidently couldn't resist.

"It's not any old broomstick," he said, "It's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?" Ron grinned at Harry and I. "Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snaps back. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

Before Ron could say anything, Professor Flitwick appeared at Malfoy's shoulder.

"Not arguing, I hope, boys?" He squeaks, and I resist my urge to laugh.

"Potter's been sent a broomstick, Professor." said Malfoy quickly.

"Yes, yes, that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at Harry. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Potter. And what model is it?"