Chapter 10

Christmas was coming and fast. One morning, mid-December, I awoke to snow. I'd never seen it before. My Mom and I lived in southern America. It never snows there. I just wish the holidays would begin. Actually, everyone wishes the holidays had started.

While in Gryffindor Tower and the Great Hall had roaring fires to keep warm, the corridors and near the windows of the classrooms was just icy misery. Worst of all is Potions down in the freezing dungeon with Snape.

"I do feel so sorry," said Draco Malfoy, one Potions class, "for all those who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home." 

He was looking over at Harry as he said that. Harry ignored him, but I couldn't. I was too pissed off. How dare he insult my cousin that way! I'd like to see him spend two days with the Dursley's, much less ten years. Harry told me about the heinous crimes they've committed. Namely, abuse and neglect!  Harry can ignore him, but I don't have to. 

"I'd rather not be wanted at home than go to the rat's nest you live at, Malfoy!" I said, coolly. "I'd hate to spend time with a mother with her nose always stuck up in the air. Is that because you were there?" Just because I've never met Narcissa Malfoy, doesn't mean I haven't seen pictures of all the Malfoy's in the paper. 

Malfoy turned red with anger. "That's some talk for you, Black! At least my Mum isn't permanently crying! Is that your fault?"

"Shut your trap, Malfoy! Or else, I'll have to kick your ass!"

"ENOUGH!" Roared Snape."Miss Black, that will be a week's detention. Mister Malfoy 5 points from Slytherin."

"Yeah, that's totally fair." I said, rolling my eyes. "Whatever Snape." 

"Make that two weeks of detention." I fought down a laugh. Maybe I'll break The Marauder's record for number of detentions.

"You shouldn't have done that, Clara. You should've ignored him. It didn't bother me." Harry whispered.

"It bothered me. I had to."

It's true that Harry was staying. I figure it will be the best Christmas he's ever had. Ron was staying too, because Mr. and Mrs. Weasley are going to visit Charlie in Romania. Both Hermione and I were going home to our families. There will be other years I could stay over break. Right now, Vil needs me.

When we left the dungeon at the end of Potions, we found a large fir tree blocking the corridor ahead. 

The enormous feet and loud puffing told us that Hagrid was somewhere behind it.

"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron asked, sticking his head through the branches.

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron." 

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" Malfoy said in his cold drawl from behind us. "Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself? When you leave Hogwarts, I suppose-that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family is used to."

"Go to hell, Malfoy." I told him.

Ron dived at Malfoy just as Snape came up the stairs. Dammit!

"WEASLEY!" 

Ron let go of Malfoy's robes.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," said Hagrid, poking his bushy face out from behind the tree. "Malfoy was insulting his family."

"Be as that may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid." said Snape silkily. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."