Chapter 10- The Doors aren't Closing

The three of us walk to the Homestead, where Newt and Alby were talking quietly with a couple other boys.

"Can we talk to you two real quick?" Minho asked, gesturing toward Newt and Alby.

"Yeah, of course." Alby said, walking away from the others with Newt hot on his heels, "What's the problem?"

"It's not exactly a problem but... We may have found an exit. We think it's where the grievers live." At that point, Chuck walked up.

"You guys found a griever hole?" Chuck said, standing next to Thomas with wonder in his eyes. I looked off into the distance at the beautiful pink sky, indicating the sun was setting. I heard faint yelling in the distance.

"The doors aren't closing!" Zart yelled. Newt, Thomas, Chuck, Minho and Alby stopped there conversation immediately.

"What?!" Alby asked, looking frantic. I ran toward the doors and everyone followed. Just then, a griever rounded the corner.

"Every body run!" Thomas yelled grabbing my hand and turning the other way. Newt and Minho were in front of him. Thomas and Minho were helping Newt run and making sure he didn't fall because with his limp, it was probably hard to keep up with a huge group of people being chased by a griever. I tried to help out as much as I could but it was hard, because like I said before, we were running in the middle of a huge group of people.

Thomas, Newt, Minho, Alby, Chuck, Winston, Frypan, Zart, Teresa and I ran toward the gardens and into the corn field. I hear a couple screams from behind me and look back to see Teresa looking at me with a look of pure terror in her eyes and I look just above her to see Zart being dragged away by a griever. Thomas, who's next to me, just keeps running. I could see that his face was scrunched up with concentration and sadness. He has a hold on my left hand but this time, he's not pulling me along, in fact, I'm keeping perfect pace with him. I have a feeling that he's holding my hand because he wants to make sure that I don't get taken away from him. With my free hand, I grab hold of Teresa's, making sure that she keeps up and that we don't loose her too.

We run through the corn field and to the map room, where it may be safer to hide than anywhere else.

"Hurry up! Tommy, (Y/N), Teresa, c'mon!" Newt yelled, waving his hand toward himself indicating for us to run faster. We did so and once we got safely inside, they closed and blockaded the doors.

"Is everyone okay?" I ask, trying to catch my breath. There were some nods but it remained silent. Then, all of a sudden, a griever broke through and snatched Chuck up and the room filled with screams. So much was happening so fast, I could barely think. Thomas grabbed onto chuck and tried to pull him out of the grievers grasp and Alby jumped up and took Chuck's place and the griever took him away.

"Alby!" Teresa and I screamed in unison. Tears were streaming down my face as I looked around at the terrified faces surrounding me. A lot of them were huddled up against the wall on the opposite side.

I look at Thomas to see that his arms are opened wide and I run into them and put my forehead on his shoulder, my tears spilling onto his shirt. I feel Thomas wave someone over and not five seconds later, Chuck walks up and I wrap my arm around his shoulders. Then, all three of us wave Newt over and I put my other arm around his shoulders, my forehead still placed on Thomas's shoulder. Just then, I feel Minho wrap his arms around me from behind and as I'm looking down at the ground, I keep seeing feet gathering around us. We all stay in this group hug for what seems like forever, which is very comforting considering the events that just happened.