Chapter 14- The Laboratory

We walk through a long, plain hallway to a door at the end of it. Minho puts a hand on the doorknob, looking back at us, asking for permission to open the door. Thomas nods and Minho proceeds.

I survey the large room inside. The walls are a bland white. In the middle of the room sits a large wooden table and on the far wall is a huge screen and beneath it are controls that I'm almost sure belongs to it. Bodies litter the floor and I see Teresa put a hand to her mouth as she sees the blood that gives the walls a little color. Newt and Minho walk forward, allowing room for some of the others to step inside. Thomas walks forward as well, pulling me with him.

As I walk past the table, my hand brushes the rough wood. Newt walks up to the screen and I follow, Thomas right behind me. A ghost of a smile appears on my lips when I realize he's trying to make sure that I'm not hurt in any way. Newt presses a few buttons and I jump when the screen turns on and a video begins to play. Thomas grabs my hand from my right side and Newt steps back to stand beside me on my left side. Minho walks up, meeting Thomas's right side. Chuck stands behind Thomas and Teresa stands behind me. The others just stand around the room, staying clear of the bodies, staring intently at the screen. A woman appears on it.

"Hello. My name is Doctor Ava Paige. I'm director of Operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means you've successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you, but circumstances seem to have prevented it." My eyes travel over the screen to the people, scientists, being shot in the background. The same bodies that are currently rotting in this very room, "I'm sure by now, you must all be very confused, angry, frightened. I can only assure you that everything that's happened to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason. You won't remember, but the sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost, fire, famine, suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable. What came after was worse. We called it the Flare. A deadly virus that attacks the brain." A video of a  person, if you could even call it that, was locked onto this bed thing. It was struggling, but there were large vein-like things covering its body, "It is violent, Unpredictable, incurable. Or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed, inside harsh environments, where their brain activity would be studied. All in an effort to understand what makes them different, what makes you different. You may not realize it, but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trials have just begun. As you'll no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us, for me, but not for you. The outside world awaits." The woman, Ava Paige, presses a gun to her temple. I gasp, squeezing Thomas's hand tighter, "Remember... Wicked is good."

The gun goes off and I turn into Thomas's neck, not wanting to look at the screen. A few tears are rolling down my cheeks and onto Thomas's shirt.