Chapter 7 (The Doctor's Appointment of Doom)

Next chappie. c: Hey, I have a question. Am I being too unrealistic? Is Marshall or any of the others out of character? Tell me! I need to know. Also, how Marsh sticks out his tongue and bites it and crinkles his brow, that was something he actually did. He still does sometimes. During live performances he would do it when he wasn't rapping and taking a breather. You can catch it if you watch carefully. I wanted to really incorporate the real Eminem into this story, so yup. Plus I think it's cute. :D And, finally, I don't know much about pregnancy. I'm younger than Ava. I got my info from my mom and a pregnancy site. So if anything is incorrect, I'm sorry. Tell me and I'll fix it. c: Enjoy. 

That night, while everyone was eating a exquisite meal of cheeseburgers from Burger King, Marshall dropped a bomb.

"Oh, yeah, Angel. We're going out tomorrow. Going to the doctor's to check on the baby," he said between bites.

Ava set down her burger. "What?"

"I called this morning," he said, not looking up, his eyes focused on the burger as if he was talking to it instead of her. "Before you came downstairs. They said this Friday at nine. That's tomorrow."

Laney sagged in her chair. "We'll be in school. I wanna go!"

"Sorry, Laney," Marshall said, sounding sincere. "But you gotta go to school. And you won't be missing much. Ava's only two months in. Nothing exciting at this point. They'll tell her the gender and that's about it. I think," he added.

"Thanks for telling me," Ava snapped.

"I did. Just now."

Ava had the urge to flip him off but resisted because of the kids. "You realize it's February right?"

"Uh-huh." Marshall said, his mouth full with food.

"And the baby was... conceived in December."

"Right."

"So.. okay, two months. Hmm. It feels like four."

"Uh-huh."

"I heard you dropped out in middle school."

Silence. All eyes were on Marshall. He chewed and shifted in his chair. "High school."

"Were you stupid?"

Marshall's eyes darted around and he stood up. "I'm not hungry anymore. You guys keep eating. I'll be in my room."

Ava watched him go. Then she focused on her food again.

"What was that about, Angel?" Nate asked, scraping his plate.

"Nothing. I was curious."

"Why?"

"I dropped out last year. We're both delinquents."

"That's sad."

"Yeah." Ava scooped a handful of mashed potatoes into his mouth. "It is sad, Nate."

****************

That morning, Ava slept in late until eight. Marshall had to wake her after he took the kids to school. 

"What?" Ava yelled, darting upright.

Marshall backed up, surrender on his face. "Woah, calm down, Ava. I was just waking you up. Remember your appointment?"

"Oh. Yeah. Okay. Lemme get dressed."

"Aight. Put something loose on, 'cause I think you gotta take yours pants of or something."

Ava looked up to see if he was joking, or at least had a mischievous look, but his face was as serious as if he was informing her she had twins.

She laughed quietly as Marshall left, imaging that and hoping it wouldn't happen. Ah, it wouldn't happen. She didn't have that bad of luck.