Chapter 17: Three's A Crowd

Chapter 17: Three’s A Crowd

“Really, tell me, how is it I can tell the difference between you and your sister? Sometimes I think you’re clones.”

“Don’t you have anything else to do?” I snapped impatiently at the dark-haired boy perched so cockily on the end of my bed. “I’m sure Ivan or Arthur can find work for you.”

“I’m afraid not pet,” he grinned. “I feel deprived. I’ve seen too much of Jennifer and not enough of her older sister.”

“We’re twins.” I looked at him exasperatedly; sure, it was nice to have him back safely after all that fear and nervousness I felt about his wellbeing, but I was beginning to remember why it is he annoyed me so easily. However, when I was with him, I felt well again. Whole.  I hadn’t been the same since he disappeared; he completed me in a way I couldn’t describe. Despite all his maddening faults, he was my first and only love. I didn’t care what Ivan said... Well, actually, I did, but wasn’t about to admit that to him; it would only make him more persistent. The last thing I needed was Ivan being more persistent than he already was.

“Yeah, sure,” he smirked, “but you’re two minutes older. I like older women.” I rolled my eyes in an overly exaggerated fashion and moaned.

“That’s stupid.” He twisted his face into a fake gasp; it was something he did very frequently while being sarcastic, which, nine times out of ten, he was. God, how I missed that...

“I am personally offended, Miss Smith. My intelligence is immensely superior, and-”

“So is your ego,” I teased, tossing pillows at him. “Almost sickeningly so.”

“When you have it, you flaunt it.”

“You don’t have it, whatever you’re referring to.” He frowned; somehow he seemed to shrink a little bit.

“You know you want me.”

“You’re ridiculous! Why was I so worried about you anyway?”

“Because,” he sneered, running his fingers through his dark hair, “I’m the most gorgeous thing to ever come into your life and you feel unwillingly attracted to me.” I gave him a withering look.

“You’re very modest,” I replied sarcastically.

“It’s a gift,” he grinned. This was life with Andreas; part of being blessed with his presence was having to put up with his very stupid, childlike demeanor. It was enough to drive anyone insane, but I was oddly attracted to it. He moved closer to me on the bed, attempting to be charming. Despite my own annoyance with him, I gave in and leaned against his chest with a contented sigh, feeling his arms wrap around my shoulders.

“I really have missed you,” he murmured, rocking back and forth.

“Same.” He smiled.

“I’m glad I finally have you alone to myself. That stupid Russian was really starting get on my nerves.”

“Why?” I felt my own temper flare slightly, though I wasn’t sure what triggered it... Something kept coming back to bother me, even as I laid there in the arms of the person I had longed to be reunited with. It was Ivan, and those words he said... ‘You wouldn’t feel any confusion if you didn’t feel anything for me.’ I was indeed very confused about why Andreas’s calling Ivan stupid upset me. It shouldn’t; I should be more than happy to pick where I left off with Andreas and be ok with spending less time with Ivan... But I was discontented by something.

“How close were you two?” he pried. “You two seemed awfully familiar...” I moaned.

“Oh, don’t you start! I don’t want all this jealousy.” Andreas laughed mockingly.