Chapter 22: Revelation

I looked around the hallway wildly; how could they have just vanished so quickly? Jenna was growling in annoyance about how she’d been dragged here for no reason. Something caught my ear. It was voices coming from a wall. I beckoned Jennifer to follow me and quietly made my way closer to the wall. As we approached, I realized that it wasn’t a wall, but a very well-disgusted door. I looked at Jenna and placed my finger on my lips, signaling silence.

“They sound suspicious,” she whispered. I nodded.

The voices in the room were familiar. Too familiar. I could tell in an instant that it was Gabrielle and Deshi, though what they possibly could have been discussing in such a remote area was beyond me. And what were they doing here to begin with? Ivan had banished them; they’d be killed if they were discovered... It was also suspicious, as Jennifer had mentioned just seconds before. I held my breath, straining my ears as hard as I could to hear what they were saying.

“Arthur won't be a problem," Gabrielle was saying confidently. "He’s not a threat any longer." I was overcome with guilt; what if they had hurt him? I abandoned him and completely left him at their mercy... I should have at least learned what there were doing to him first. Stupid! “...Alfred.” Alfred? I suppressed a gasp, focusing on my eavesdropping. I had missed wherever she’d said about Alfred, but his name had snapped me back into the present. What had they said about the American? I just had to not be listening...

“And what about the new girl?”

“She won’t do a thing. She won’t even know about this, and Ivan’s little pets are out of the day.”

"Yeah," Deshi commented,” but they won't stay quiet."

"They won't need to. It doesn't matter now."

"They're in the hole?"

"Safe and sound." I was confused. What on earth were they talking about? I looked at Jenna on the other side of the opening, but she kept her eyes locked on the wall, seemly listening too hard to risk being distracted. And what were they saying about Alfred and Arthur? I narrowed my eyes in suspicion and listened harder.

"How long though?" Deshi pressed. He seemed nervous about something.

"It won't matter," murmured a new voice. I caught my breath quickly. It was Andreas. I felt my eyes widen in surprise and my heart race. "They'll be given the choice to join us, or be disposed of once Ivan's out of the way. I could frankly care less what they do. It will take three seconds to replace them."

 "Not true," Deshi interjected.

"Excuse me?"

"Alfred's knowledge of survival skills is unrivaled by anyone I've ever met, and Arthur is an absolutely brilliant tactician. Most of Ivan's plans are organized by Arthur. We lieutenants weren't chosen at random, Andreas. We each have skills that Ivan saw useful. If we can convince them to join, it will be better for us."

"And if they don't?" Gabrielle demanded.

"They die too," answered Andreas, emotionless. "But for now, keep them locked up. They'll be less of a headache for tonight." I stifled a gasp. What was this? Tonight? I looked at my sister desperately, but before I could signal anything to her, we were both picked up and tossed into the tiny room where the conspirators sat.

"Would you look at what we have here," sneered Gabrielle. "You're a bit far from Ivan's lap, aren't you, kitty?" she taunted while snickering at me. I said nothing, but rather allowed my eyes to flicker to the doorway, which was now occupied by Klaus, the German that would have been Andreas’s replacement in internment, whom had now apparently joined him. I finally rested my gaze on Andreas's flat face. The normal person wouldn't have been able to tell what he was thinking, but I knew him better. He was surprised; obviously, he hadn't known we were out there.