Chapter 4: The Hailstorm Hut

*Author's Note: I know I wrote in a previous chapter Amy had blonde hair, but this has changed because of my new cover design! I have went back an edited that, I apologize to anyone that has remained loyal from the start and is confused by this.

Chapter 4: The Hailstorm Hut

The next day, my sister wouldn't even look at me; needless to say I had no desire to speak to her either. As far as I was concerned, she had gotten what she deserved and as the day continued, the guilt I felt for hurting her last night grew progressively smaller; by dinnertime it had hardened into nothingness. All day she would literally stick her nose up in the air, close her eyes in a most pompous fashion and make a "humph!" notice whenever I came near. I suppose she thought it bothered me; I found it overly amusing. Once she even walked right into a wall exiting like this. If our mother noticed the out-of-place tension between her twin daughters, she chose to ignore it. She had other things on her mind and was even more of a nag than usual. My father was also more stressed out, although he had the right to be. He was scheduled to begin his service in the Royal Air Force as a fighter pilot within the week, and this was having a toll on all of us.I dreaded supper; I knew what it would lead to.

"So Amy," my father had said at suppertime, looking up from his food and addressing me for the first time since my fight with Mum. "What are we going to do about that garden of yours?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"Oh, don't even-" my mother began, but Dad lifted his had to silence her.

"Remember what we talked about," he reminded her firmly. She stopped talking. i looked between both of my parents, feeling a strange sense of betrayal.

"So, what," I started, fury growing, "now you two have been plotting behind my back.?"

"Not behind your back," he said, a hint of pity in his voice. "We want to make a fair compromise." I said nothing, but continued to stare icily at him. "Amy, I know how much you love that garden," he said softly. "If we had any other choice, you know we wouldn't ask you to give any part of it up. It's not fair to you, we know, but this is war and we all must make sacrifices." I could feel my anger ebb.

"But," I argued for what felt like the hundredth time, "Why can't we just put it in the house? Some of my friends have trapdoors leading to underground shelters. Wouldn't that be safer anyway than having to go out in the yard? If we were getting bombed, I would feel a lot safer not leaving the house."

"Because, what happens if we do get bombed and the house caves in?" my mother said gently, showing some patience with me. "We'd be trapped."

"Oh." It seemed like a very stupid was to respond, but I knew, despite my irritation, that they were right. It would be much safer to have an outdoor shelter, hate is as I did. But it was still true.

"Amy," my father said, drawing my attention back into the conversation. "We're not asking for ther entire thing. The shelter won't need to be big. You'll still have your garden, just lose a small piece of it."  I knew I had lost. He was making an appealing compromise and honestly it was better than nothing.

"Alright," I sighed, trying to hide my growing anger. "Just stay away from those bushes by the back wall." I got up, knowing I had to get away from the table before I had a meltdown.

"Amy..." my dad said softly

"No, don't," I said firmly. "I can't handle this. Please, I just have to be alone."

"Yeah," my sister sneered from the table, "We're not good enough to be in her Majesty's presence when she's grumpy. Only her Nazi friend is." I felt my stomach drop several feet.

"What, sorry?" Mum said."What are you talking about?" Jennifer sneered widely, taunting me.

"Amy has still been seeing Andreas."

"You WHAT?" my mother snapped, looking horrifed.

"Yeah, I have. I'll admit it, there's no shame. I love him, I don't care what you think."

"How could you do that to your father?" she snapped. "He's about to go to war, for God's sake! Use your head, child.

"I am using my head, and I can date him with a good spirit. Quite easily," I replied testily. I got up from the table and shot a look at my sister's smug face. "And I can tell you for sure that I'd rather be sitting out with a bush or in the arms of a German than around idiots like you."

"Well I never-" Jenna started, but I cut her off.

"That's right, you never. You never have understood me, and you never will. I hate this family. You can't stop me from dating Andreas, I don't care if Hitler himself told me so." I looked directly at my sister. "And you, we're done!" I screamed at her as she opened her mouth to say something. Finding myself sitting again, I got up in sheer fury and walked out of the room, slamming the door behind me. I made my way over to the rosebush and leaned against it, ignoring the thorns cutting into my shoulder and face.