Chapter 20: Accusations

"What should I do, Mama?" I whispered to myself, convinced in my anger that I was finally losing it. That vision of my mother had just been a dream, I knew it, but it felt so real, and ever since, I had found myself whispering to nothing, talking to myself, asking some invisible force next to me for advice. It was pathetic... I sighed, trying to find the restraint to not strangle the two teens sitting in front of me. I had much to do today. The first matter of business was to choose my replacements for Gabrielle, Deshi, and Alfred.

The first candidate was a girl I'd known for a while named Valérie. On the surface, she was nothing short of annoying, overbearing and obnoxious; she had very strong opinions on various topics and she wasn't shy to try shoving them down your throat. However, ironic as her being a vegan pacifist was, her ability to read people was nothing short of amazing. That's what caught my attention; having someone so perceptive could only bring good results. And as far as Deshi went, I had another girl in mind for a substitution. At only about 13 years old, Ming was by far one of the youngest members, but she was blessed with a deep understand of ancient Chinese medicines. She was the best doctor we had, but she was exceptionally quiet. I had hardly even heard her speak at all, so I had no idea what her personality was like... A gamble, da, but I felt she would be best.

As for Alfred... Well, I had quickly come to the conclusion that few Americans would ever be on my good side the way Alfred was, so his job was still open solely because I couldn't stand any other Americans in Rozovyĭ kust. So that was how I found myself sitting in my briefing room with Arthur, and the newcomers.

"So," I ran my hand across the back of my neck exasperatedly, regretting my scarf was so warm, "are you agreeing with me or not? I can't tell, to be frank, which is a problem for me. I like knowing".

"Zat depends," the French girl replied, once again refusing to give me a straight answer. "Zis is my only question: will I 'ave to resort to violent methods? If zis is the case, zen I am 'urt to say I must politely decline your offer, Ivan."

"I already told, you, Valérie," I said slowly, being as patient with her as I could, "your duties will include whatever the situation demands."

"An' what in 'eaven's name does that mean? You tell me nothing!"

"You are so daft!" Arthur growled at her. "We don't know what you'll have to do; I don't understand why so hard for you to get!" She gave him a withering look.

"Zis all seems very dysfunctional. To be 'onest, I don't think it's a good thing for us when our leaders are clueless 'as to where their expectations lie."

"I expect you to listen to me and do what you're told." Arthur made some sort of unintelligible grumbling noise; I got annoyed.

"I won't tolerate another argument between you and anyone else right now, Arthur," I warned him quietly. "Just sit there until you're addressed." He nodded begrudgingly, casting a bitter look at Valérie.

"I'll come back to you while you contemplate this crucial decision," I murmured softly, turning toward the other person in the room.

"And what about you, Ming?" The young Chinese girl jumped at her name, as if I had hit her. She shook her head and murmured quietly,

"I don't mind."

"Da," I replied impatiently, "but do you want to?" She shrugged indifferently.

"I have no opinion. Wherever you want me, I'll go." I moaned, looking at the two girls. One was overly inquisitive and the other wouldn't even give me a straight answer as to if she wanted to or not... It seemed to be so much easier when I picked out Alfred and Arthur... I got up and headed toward the door, needing to take a break from this.