Breaking Down His Walls

RECAP:

Everyone was quiet, waiting to see what Zayn will do. I think the only sound audible was the slight squealing of some girls and the loud thumping of my heart.

I wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans and looked up at Zayn to see him leaning down.

~*~

 CHAPTER 20:

"I never understood what love was really like, but I felt it for the first time looking in your eyes." ~Loved You First, One Direction.

Thursday, 29th August 2013

ZAYN'S POV:

I gulped when Harry looked up and would I get smacked on the head if I said that I did want to kiss him?

Harry was staring at me with wide green eyes, and it was deathly silent in the room. Everyone was pretty much gobsmacked that I was really going to go through with the dare. Hell, even I wasn't sure what I was doing right now.

I kneeled down and leaned closer to Harry's face, and he looked like he was having trouble breathing. Well, I was not far from feeling the same to be honest.

I gulped again and closed my eyes. Never back out on a dare, Zayn. Never give up a challenge, never show you're a coward, I chanted in my head, squeezing my eyes shut.

But I can't do this. I can't play with Harry's feelings like that.

Yes. For once I did think about Harry, and not what'll happen to my own reputation and all that shit.

I opened my eyes and shook my head. "Sorry, I-I can't do this," I murmured and before anyone could even blink, I fled up the stairs to the rooftop of Liam's house, where I could clear my head and just get away.

I was huffing by the time I reached the top, and I collapsed near the ledge, pulling my legs up and resting my chin on my knees.

I closed my eyes when the slightly chilly evening breeze caressed my face, welcoming a few old memories.

~*~

"I-I can't do that! Please, no! Don't make me do it!" A thirteen year old me stammered.

"Aww, ickle Zaynie is scared! You want yer mummy Zaynie?" And I got slapped in the face. I shook my head weakly, tears forming in my eyes.

"Look at that lads! We made mummy's boy cry!"

"Aw! Let's go Rick. This kid's too much of a wussy. Always was, always will be."

"Pathetic runt."

"Nerd!"

"Couldn't even handle a little job!"

Their words caused something to snap inside of me and I called out to the retreating boys.

"Wait!"

"Eh?" Rick, the fifteen year old leader turned to me with a smirk. That boy had had a beef with me ever since his little sister had kissed me last year, when I was twelve. How was it even my fault?

"I-I'll do it."

"Getting brave aren't we Zaynie?"

"Do-don't call me that."

"Aw! Only mummy can call ya Zaynie? That'll be yer name from now on." And he kicked me in the shin.

I winced, grabbing my leg. I always had to lie to Mum when I got home, saying I tripped and fell. It hurt to lie to her, but it hurt even more to see her worried. "Ju-just tell me what to do."