One Wish: Chapter 10

"Hey Lyla!" Mitch says, pulling me into a hug. I loved his hugs. It made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Needless to say, his hugs were always like that.

He gestures me to come inside. What nice, neat home. Then again, all the apartments looked the same.

I turn my head and notice his phone turning bright.

"Hey, Mitch you got a text message," I say as I pick up his phone from the marble coffee table and hand it to him. "It's from Bailey."

Mitch's cheeks turn a cherry-red as he looks at the message. He then sets the phone down on the table.

"What did she say?" I say, wondering why he was blushing that hard.

"Oh, nothing. Don't worry about it," he says as he puts on a fake smile.

"What's going on, Mitch?" I say, stepping a little closer to the phone.

I raise one curious eyebrow at him while I fold my arms.

"Nothing. I said don't worry about it." He leads me to the couch, where we sit down and search through Netflix for 'The Conjuring'.

His hands were knotted together and he starts to sweat.

The movie starts, and Mitch puts his arm around me and pulls me closer.

I couldn't concentrate on the movie.

I was still thinking about the text message he got from Bailey.

Were the two planning something?

Halfway into the movie, Mitch stands up and goes to the bathroom.

This is my chance.

I slowly walk towards the phone, as if I were about to touch a time bomb.

I put a shaky hand on the phone, unlock it, and go look in his messages.

My eyes widen. I gasp in shock as I read the text word by word. I don't even know what to say.

I couldn't believe it.

Mitch comes back and sees me on his phone. I could see sweat start pouring down his forehead.

"W-what happened?" He says nervously, his eyes on the phone I'm holding.

I manage to walk towards him a short distance.

"Is there something up between you and Bailey?" I say firmly, my anger rising inside.

I barely know the girl, and now she does this without me even knowing?

Until he spoke, I was counting numbers in my head.

"N-no,"Mitch says finally.

There was a brief silence as I clenched my fists.

"Ten. Seconds..." I say, gripping to my purse as tight as possible. I didn't make eye contact. I just stared at the wall.

"What?" Mitch says, obviously confused.

"It took you ten seconds to answer my question," I say, holding in my anger. I was about to burst on him.

He has to stop soon. He knows what he did wrong.

"It's nothing, I swear!" He says, waving his arms in the air.

"Then what's this?" I say, remaining as calm as possible, yet keeping a firm voice.

I shove his phone into his chest without making eye contact. "Read your recent text message."

I knew he already knew what the text message said. I just wanted Mitch to read it in absolute guilt.

"It says: I love you and I miss you! Are you still hanging out with that ugly whore? -Bailey." He gently settles his phone on the table, right next to my hand.

"Is that 'nothing' to you?" I say while looking at my painted nails, and then back to him.

I tap my fingernails on the glass, waiting impatiently for his answer.

He was in a hell of trouble.

Mitch doesn't answer. He was probably thinking of some dumb excuse to let himself out of this.

I turn around and start heading out the door. This was a waste of my time.

How pathetic am I to actually believed he loved me?

This is what happens in every love story. I'm just a used toy that has now been tossed in the trash.

I then think of that day when I saw the couple kissing in the rain, and the boy that had to see every painful moment of it.

Why was I even making a big deal out of this? I'm just a stupid fan.

"Lyla, wait!" Mitch says, grabbing my arm.

"WHAT?!" I literally scream at him while tears start flooding my eyes. I try to wiggle my arm out of his grip, but he was too strong.

"It's not what it looks like. She was talking about someone else, not you!" He says, looking pained in every single way.

My tears suddenly stop. No. I won't believe him.

"Then, who IS she talking about?" I say giving him a death glare.

"I-I don't know. But it isn't you, I promise." He says, looking down.

"Who is she talking about?" I say, a little bit louder and angrier than ever. I start clenching my teeth.

No answer.

"I'll give you a second chance."

There was hope drawn all over his face.

"But."

He lost his smile.

"You tell Bailey that whatever 'affair' you two have..." I trailed off. I look at him straight in the eyes. "Is over..."