One Wish: Chapter 6

Mitch closes the door and sits to the left of me.

I move a little to right. I didn't want to sit too close to him. It would just be weird. Besides, I didn't even know if he liked me or not.

His couch was right in front of a huge window. Again, another perfect view of Montreal.

I could see the big ball slowly moving downwards the west horizon. Pink and purple swirls start forming behind the huge mass of gas. Soon enough, little specks of white start forming in the night sky.

I think of my parents. Beautiful like the glistening stars. I know they're up there.

Tears were starting to form and roll down my cheek as I rub the necklace they gave me.

"This necklace is a sign of our family. When our time comes, I want you to keep it safe. I love you." Their voices echoed in my mind.

More tears start running down my cheek as I put two hands on the necklace.

"I promise," I whisper, barely audible for Mitch to hear, as I look at the diamonds in the sky.

"Is something wrong?" He says pulling me closer to him.

"Nothing's wrong. It's just-" I choke on my own words.

"My mom and dad died when I was only twelve-years-old. They were the only friends I had."

A dry feeling takes over my throat. I hate when it does that.

"No one wanted to talk to me because they thought it was weird to have no parents. But they don't know what it's like to struggle everyday. To have to do everything by yourself with no one to help you.

"I never felt so alone." I said. I didn't wan to connect it with the other words I had said. Those words hurt me the most.

At this point, Mitch was in sympathetic tears, too.

"Lyla, I understand-"

"No you don't! I scowl at him. "You don't know what it's like to die a little inside every single day just because the people you love are gone! You have a life! A family! People you love! I don't even know what my parents look like anymore!" More tears flood my eyes before I wipe them away.

My sobbing starts clogging my throat. I hate when it does that, too.

Brief silence stuffs the room before I turn and face Mitch. He had his head low and on his right hand.

"Look, I'm sorry," I say lowering my head, trying to make eye contact. "I just never had a real friend except my parents. They were always there for me. Now they're just a memory. A piece of me that i'll forget."

Mitch looks up and makes eye contact with me for a minute.

His hazelnut eyes meet mine. I suddenly feel a connection.

"My grandfather died when I was six," Mitch starts. "He meant the whole world to me. He would always invite me to his bingo games, which I truly loved. When he died, life wasn't the same anymore. No more cuddly hugs when he brought toys for me. No more "hey kiddo!" greetings from him. I wasn't complete," he says, looking away from me.

"I know exactly how you feel," he whispers through his tears.

Now he's throwing regret and guilt in my face.

"I have to go now," I say, standing up and fixing my body purse.

I couldn't take any more of this.

I was at the doorway until I stop and jerk my head back.

He was now staring at me. A smile slowly forms, rising his cheekbones. It was like the conversation we had only minutes ago never happened. His tears disappeared quickly.

"You want to meet me at Starbucks tomorrow at eleven in the morning? I'll give you my number tomorrow," He says, biting his bottom lip.

"Uh, sure. I have nothing else to do," I say sweetly.

"Sounds good," he says walking into the kitchen with a hint of 'joy'.

I smile as I close the front door. I was about to go to Starbucks with my favorite YouTuber. My crush, basically.

This was going to be the best day of my life.