Chapter Thirty Three

FOUR MONTHS LATER.

"So then I turned around," Finn snorted as he set up the punchline. "And I said to him 'That's because it's Monday.'"

I burst into an explosion of giggles. Gripping onto my multiple shopping bags and walking up our road, I shook my head with mirth. "And what did he say back?"

Finn shrugged his shoulders laughing. "He just was like 'Oh, yeah, I knew that' but obviously y'know... He didn't. I think he was still shook over not completing the History exam the day before."

"Oh yeah, poor thing, he was nearly hyper-ventilating in the examination hall. But that's so funny!"

"Yeah," He grinned. "I thought so." Without warning, Finn roughly delved into his pockets and patted against his jeans repeatedly. His brown eyes widened with annoyance.

"What?" I said, narrowing mine.

"I think I've lost my keys!" He groaned. "Shit... I'm so stupid, sometimes. Hey, Ashley-"

"Yes, you can stay at my house till your parents come home." I sighed as I uttered a small giggle. "It's the least I can do, after you took me shopping and bought me lunch."

Finn beamed as I jammed my key into my house's keyhole and let him through the front door. Dumping our bags in the hallway and kicking off our shoes, we padded into the kitchen.

"Your mum won't mind that I'm here, will she?" Finn asked as he sat down on one of the fixated stools at the kitchen counter, swinging his short legs.

"Of course she won't mind!" I snorted. "Finn, you're always here, she's completely used to it. So is Dad. They both love you."

"They love me? You mean, they're completely cool with me being around you so much?"

"Yeah," I yawned as I skipped my way to the fridge. "You have manners and respect. They think you're a 'perfect young man'. You even helped me revise for my exams, you're like their second favourite teenager in the world. What drink do you want? We've got no beer... Coke or Sprite?"

"They think I'm a perfect young man? Good... Sprite, please. Where are your parents anyway?"

I peered into the fridge while humming. "Okay, there's no Sprite so you'll just have to deal with Coke like me. What were you saying? Oh yeah, my parents went on a 'date'; don't ask! They're staying at some swanky hotel and coming back by about two o'clock tomorrow. Don't even wanna know what they're up to."

I plonked onto the stool next to Finn's and slid the chilled fizzy drink towards him. Opening my can and taking a large gulp, I frowned at him suspiciously. "Why?"

"Why what?"

I gave Finn a strange look. "Why are my parents so fascinating all of a sudden? Is it really necessary to know what they think of you?"

Finn briefly looked down at the buff natural stone kitchen counter before gazing deep into my eyes. "It's the end of June, Ashley."

I was baffled. Of course, I knew it was the end of June! I'd been recognising the months of the year since I was about six. Blinking at Finn blankly, and taking a casual sip of Coke, I waited patiently for him to continue.

"I promised you that the perfect guy would sweep you off your feet by the end of June, the first summer month."

I shook my head. "Finn, I am so confused right now, you don't even understand. What does that have to do with your relationship with my parents?"

Finn's gaze didn't waver once. "I told you that you can find the perfect person... Right in front of your eyes."

"Oka..." My voice trailed off abruptly. Was he saying what I thought he was saying? My stomach tightened with dread. Please, don't let him be saying what I thought he was saying...