Chapter Twenty Three

The mirror that towered over the sinks in the girls' toilets was in need of a clean. However, regardless of its smudged appearance, my reflection was still prominently shown. I frowned. The only sound heard was the continual dripping of a leaking tap, seeming to highlight my solitude. It was too early for the school rush of vain girls, getting ready to gossip and primp before lessons started. I had the bathroom all to myself.

I toyed with my new slightly serrated, lighter brown hair and groaned childishly.

In an attempt to shake off my connection with Zayn, I'd spent the whole of the previous evening, and that present morning, trying to rid the Hazelnut Brown hairstyle of which he had approved. This resulted in me washing my hair excessively until some of the dye came out, and stupidly bringing a pair of scissors to my aid. My once slightly over shoulder length, and once almost waist length, tresses now barely skimmed my jawline.

It had seemed like a good idea at the time. But now I just looked stupid.

There was no easy road to defeating the school king and his empire, but that wasn't going to halt my expedition. I needed to be tough-skinned, quick-mouthed and witted. He'd made a fool out of me more than once, wasted four months of my life and probably ruined my chances of happiness in the months to come. I hadn't a single kind word to say about Zayn Malik; except for the fact that he was the most gorgeous boy I'd ever seen, his style was immense, and all the time that I had thought he'd loved me, I had never felt so good about myself...

I slapped my face hard. There was a lengthy aftermath of sore stinging, but it was completely necessary. I couldn't possibly attempt to bring him down if I was in that state of mind. I needed friends to back me up and without Bridget's support, I didn't know who'd possibly take me in. Maybe I could gain a few acquaintances if I sorted out this ridiculously trampy hairstyle...

The door to the lavatory flew open as Hayley and all her pretty-faced cronies burst in. I jumped and removed my fingers from my disastrous hairdo. It was unexpected; they were starting their preening way before the usual time.

"So I can borrow your Union Jack denim shorts for the party then, Gia?"

"As long as I can borrow your bralet..."

"Oh, but I was gonna wear that!"

"Don't worry; you can just wear mine, Madison. You can take the white one; I lent the red one to Becca and I haven't gotten it back yet..."

"She's probably having fun enticing Zayn with it..."

"Whoa, girls, look at this!" Hayley interrupted as she suddenly noticed me. I gritted my teeth. All her friends instantly spluttered with laughter, pointing at my foolish hairstyle. Hayley's smile was triumphant, obviously pleased at my misfortune. "What's up, bubs? Attempting to do something about that shitty homemade hairdo you got going on?"

My face burned with fury. "Attempting to do something about that - that shitty bleach hairdo you got going on?" I shot back. "B-Becca's got Zayn now. I'm sure you should be able change it back."

The girls stopped laughing immediately. Hayley pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes. "I'm sure you should be able to get rid of that st-st-stutter, before you speak to me." She replied coolly. Sensing my defeat, her vacant-minded friends went straight back to tittering. Madison, a tall mixed race model-in-the-making, threw in a dirty look for good measure. Lovely.

They all bundled past me and made their way over to the mirror. At once, the air became thick with the stench of several different perfumes diffusing. I choked but they took no notice. All I could taste was Hollister, Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs, Lacoste, D&G...