Chapter Thirty Six

Wow.

I lazily trailed the tip of my finger against the Arabic writing on Zayn's chest. A thin sheen of sweat coated our skin and the air was laden with calming pants. Zayn's lips rested against my forehead as his hand stroked against my blonde locks.

I'd missed this. This post-coitus bliss.

"I love you." Zayn's breath playfully tickled against my skin, causing me to scrunch my eyes up and squeal. My heart swelled with pride and euphoria.

"You mean that?"

I could feel his mouth curve into a proud smile. "100% mean it."

Satisfied with the truth in his voice, I adjusted my leg to frame his body tighter. "Good. I love you too." He lazily kissed my forehead again and held his arms closer around my body. I raised my head so that we were lip to lip, encouraging small kisses with content giggles and smirks.

I swear, if this ended up being a dream and I was about to wake up in the next four minutes, I was going to jump out my fucking window. Or was it possible for me to simply die of happiness? Zayn's lips left mine and quickly pecked the tip of my nose, before returning to his rhythmic fondles of my hair. I nearly purred. Nearly.

"Does your head still hurt?" Zayn asked softly. "You know, after Becca... She did that thing... It was a while ago, but are there are bruises or anything?"

Slightly taken aback by the subject change, I absently raised my hand to hold the crown of my head. The emotional wounds were forgotten but un-healed, and there was still a slight bump to the touch. I manoeuvred Zayn's hand to feel the ridge for himself. He inhaled sharply.

"I didn't know it was that bad. I knew it was terrible what she did but... Ashley, if I had known, I swear I would've fucking-"

I placed my finger on Zayn's lips and shook my head. "Don't. Zayn, I wouldn't have needed you to do anything for me... What happened, happened. Forget it."

"I-"

"Forget it." I laughed weakly. "I don't like thinking about it too much. Babe... We can talk about anything else, just don't focus on Becca, please."

He shrugged his shoulders lamely as if he didn't particularly agree, and would rather spend days bitching about his brunette ex-girlfriend. But he didn't push the topic. Zayn pushed a dwindling finger to trace my spine, causing me to shiver and smile. I threw my dishevelled duvet over us and snuggled closer to breathe him in. He himself took in a deep breath.

"This feels right, doesn't it?" His whisper brushed along my shoulder. My face shot up in surprise. "Like us lying together... It's right. It's like, I've been with all these other girls so I could try get this feeling... And here it is. You and me are..." Zayn positioned a small section of the cover between his fingers and rubbed it nervously. "We're... I mean we're different and I thought that made me undeserving of you but... I guess it just makes us better. There's more conversation, I guess. I could never say half the things I say to you to other girls. It would just be weird. But you are... You really are... The most amazing thing to me. The only thing I have that's good."

Jesus... He was trying to kill me, wasn't he?

Zayn glanced up under his dark eyelashes and viewed my reddening face. He cringed badly. "Was that too much? That was too much wasn't it? I'm being a proper sop, sorry..."

"No, no, no!" I gabbled as I buried my flustered face into Zayn's neck and collarbones. I took seven lengthy breaths to control my desire to cry. "It was just surprisingly deep. Thanks... Just wasn't expecting that... Ha. I guess your near death experience has broadened your range of compliments."