Chapter Twenty-Eight: Work That Nobody Can Imagine (Rose)

Contrary to what James told his brother, we never tried to kill Scorpius. I was supposed to Vanish the Snitch, which James thought was punishment enough for a Seeker. I didn't ask any questions— Quidditch is unnecessary and a huge time-waster. If my spell missed a little, I didn't feel bad about that. It had been two days, and Scorpius had woken up. He didn't die, and after all, sacrifices are fine when it's for the Greater Good. Albus Dumbledore, the famed headmaster of Hogwarts scarified his entire family, according to Rita Skeeter, for the "Greater Good". I'm doing it as well.

    I have started to enjoy being a Ravenclaw. My housemates have stopped for the most part behaving like wild animals, and they all avoid me now. I don't think that they would like another incident like the one on the train. Also, I'm away from James. Every single time he sees me, there's an impulse that he has, making him come over and talk about what to do about how to get the Malfoys, and to a larger extent, the Slytherins out of Hogwarts.

    I have much bigger things then to worry about the filthy little pure-bloods at the moment.

For instance, my application to be the Junior Assistant to the Minister.

    I had been sitting on one of the many desks that lined the Common Room for hours. The only other students that were sitting with me were fifth and seventh years, who were studying for their O.W.L's and their N.E.W.T's. I didn't need to study for my exams. I was better than all of my other classmates, and knew the material front to back.

    Dipping my quill into a fresh bottle of ink, I contemplated how to start my essay. The instructions on the pamphlet the Minister dropped had been easy enough; send an owl by April 10 with your name, year at Hogwarts, and an essay about how you would use hard work to be the best Assistant to the Minister possible.

    Hard work, I thought, with a sly smile on my lips. I almost laughed. Nobody in the entire Ravenclaw house really knew what hard work was. They worked, of course, but it was always to the best of their ability. I, however, worked so I could surpass everyone else, continually being better and smarter and eventually more successful.

    A drop of ink dripped onto the parchment, where it soaked into the fibers and spread slightly, just a small dot of black. Hastily I lowered my brown and white quill and labeled the top of the paper.

    An Assiduous Path to Assistant of the Minister

    I waited a moment before getting more ink. The other student's own quills, all scratching the paper filled my ears for a moment, and I resumed writing.

    There was absolutely no doubt that I would get the job. I was the top, the best, the hardest worker in everything that I put my mind to. School, the Ravenclaw house, getting rid of the pure-blood rif-raff like the Malfoys once and for all...

    To work hard is the foundation of all success. Many say that hard work is the path to success, but through personal experience it is not a path, but a foundation. Working hard is not the only thing that gets you to the top. Unflinching loyalty to what you believe in, a certain aloofness that—

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for reading, and be sure to vote and comment below!