Chapter 17

Here we go the final stand! to all my readers, I really hope you enjoyed this one and that you'll enjoy the sequel as much when it's finally posted! One more chapter after this one, I won't be doing an author's note for chapter 18, but thanks for reading and I'll see you in the sequel!

Chapter 17:

Phoenix Rising.

I could hear a strange voice in my head. This voice was one I’d never heard before; like birdsong it filled my ears, it spoke calmly to me as if it were a dear old friend. I sat somewhere inside my own head; talking to a large bird with feathers of blue-white fire, that descended toward me and perched on a volcano of my own rage.

This was the moon spirit of the phoenix who’s vessel was my entire being; yet I was also just a pawn in it’s own design, created to sturdy the balance between the mortal world and the world beyond. This immense being illuminated the pitch black void of death; making me feel wide awake, the essence life pouring into me from all angles.

“Ryder? Ryder. Your time does not end here!”

“I can’t go on. I’m dead.” I replied.

“You’re the phoenix, the emperor needs you. Rise now from the ashes of your former self.” it said. “The wolf-men cannot win this war without you. If they fail; then there is far worse than the devil’s own to come, the supernatural realm holds far darker races than wulver kind.” the phoenix pressed the tips of its wings together and then parted them; to reveal a ring of sapphire blue flames, inside of which appeared images of an evil woman sat above everything.

She was controlling the supernatural life forms to force the humans into slavery; and destroy anyone who refused her wishes, whole towns were on fire and even London was burning to the ground.

I was looking at the chaos; and the destruction that would befall the world, if atticus succeeded. Everything that the wulver had worked so hard to save would all be destroyed; we’d be annihilated on sight, and the universal harmony would be reduced to little more than an ancient myth.

“become your destiny, moon spirit. Wake up my child, wake up.” I felt the great fire of life reignite in my soul; and opened my eyes to the new dawn, I knew exactly what I had to do this time. And this time I was determined to succeed.

The fog banks provided me with the cover I needed to reach Stonehenge by day; with this on my side I was able to run relentlessly all the way there, it took me a day and by the time I arrived the witch hunters were already moving in for the kill. Silently I leaped from the ground to the top of the stone formation; crouching out of sight until the time came to act, the hours had rolled by and another dawn approached. Once more Deo phased into Pax; and again he prepared to end Darcy, I returned to my human form and prepared to plunge my grandfather’s dagger into the heart of my would-be killer.

A single beam of red fire erupted from the black horizon; as Pax lunged at Atticus Darcy, it was at that moment that something in me broke free. I threw myself from the stone; dagger at the ready, the spirit of the phoenix taking flight. I missed and landed on one knee; then with a growl of sheer dissatisfaction, I got to my feet and caught sight of Pax.

The two of our spirits seemed to synchronize at that moment; thus we became more powerful together than even Atticus himself, this was the end of him. The ground felt hotter now; as Lucifer himself awoke, and began to rise from the bowels of his infernal domain.

“You’re finished Darcy.” It was hard to tell which one of us spoke; our separate words, and even our thoughts had merged into one voice. Then with a great roar; the two of us attacked him from either side, I plunging my dagger through the devil man’s heart, and Pax setting his very soul on fire. Immediately Deo pulled me backward away from Atticus; as the devil finally came to claim him, Atticus’ agonized cries for mercy could be heard over the sudden thunder of Satan’s victorious laughter.

The Devil dragged Atticus Darcy back to the inferno; where I knew he would remain, trapped in a dimension of pure agony for all eternity. All went quiet for a moment; and then the sudden eruption, of the cheering wulver and those who had just been freed from Darcy’s accursed mind control. Life couldn’t have been sweeter; than in that moment, I had the feeling as though everything had been set straight.