Chapter 10

Chapter 10 is here, not sure what else I can say about it but I hope everyone enjoys it.

Chapter 10:

We Stick Together if it Kills Us.

when I awoke; I found myself wrapped in a blanket, a familiar pair of arms; warm and gentle, yet strong and muscular, folded tenderly around my waist. I looked up; into those crystal pools of soft teal, that sent pins and needles up and down my spine; they looked less bright than usual, sort of sad and grey.

        “I should never have brought you out this far; Red, I’m so sorry.” He whispered; pressing his lips to my forehead, and caressing a few locks of my fiery hair. “Steven will take you back to the moon pool; and let you bathe during the eclipse, you can go back to being a normal human being; and I’ll never return to Widecombe, I can’t hurt you like this anymore, Ryder.”

        “What? No! You can’t send me away Alick; I came because I wanted to, I don’t belong with people, I belong with you. Don’t say you can’t be with me; Alick, I need you. I’m stronger when I’m with you; being a human was my weakness, I was born with this fate.” I told him.

        “I can’t love you without hurting you; don’t ask me to try to do something I don’t have the strength to control.” He sobbed; burying his face in my neck, and taking in my scent.

        “So don’t try to control it. Alick; you can love me without hurting me, it only hurts when you stop. So just try; because you know I can take it, it’s what I want.” I told him; leaning in and pressing my lips to his, and drowning in his every romantic thought.

The sudden roar of motor cycle engines broke the surrounding silence; at which Tagger shouted,

        “Time to go!” the five of us leaped to our feet; beside what appeared to be The Fernworthy Reservoir, and ran west across Dartmoor until we came to a jagged crevasse that was far more than a crack in the ground. Legend states; that the bog monster was born from the darkest reaches of the black abyss bellow, the ground shook and cracked when it first awoke, and it escaped from the dark depths of its earthy prison.

        “Tagger; lead Red and Solstice over the abyss, Steven and I will slow them down. Find somewhere to hide and stay there; we’ll find you when it’s over, and bring food.” Ordered Alick; phasing from man to wolf, and standing his ground.

        “Tagger, No! We’re a pack; we stick together, even if it kills us!” I said, stubbornly.

        “Now’s not the time for chivalry, Red—.” Bade began; before I phased, and cut him off.

        “We stick together if it kills us, Bade. That’s final!” I snapped at him.

        “I don’t want you to get hurt Ryder; there are more of them than the other night, and they’ll have far more weapons this time, without a doubt.” He replied, bearing his ivory fangs at me. Unafraid; I took his demeanor as a challenge, and thumped his snout with the pad of my front paw.

        “That was a warning Bade; you won’t be that lucky twice in a row, next time it’ll be my claw in your eye.” I scolded him; to which he softened his expression, but continued to growl at me.

The engines stopped then; and the sound of voices could be heard, one of them sounded particularly familiar to me.

        “What do you think Brother Daniel? Should we spare them, and force them to lead us to the rest of their half-life scum? Or should we just kill them now?” said a young; dark haired man, in a leather jacket and black sun glasses.

        “I told you this one had a good head on his shoulders, Brother Daniel.” Said the all too familiar voice of the one called Brother Gunter. Then Brother Daniel spoke, seemingly delighted at the idea of wiping out an entire colony of Wulver.

        “A wonderful idea Novice Peter; you’re well on your way to becoming a Page, as we speak.” Peter smirked at the monk’s enthusiasm; I stepped up beside my alpha and shifted my gaze from my brother; and rival to Bade, for a brief word.

        “Leave Peter to me,” Bade nodded; and relayed my thoughts to the others, I stepped forward and stared down the enemy, challenging my twin brother to leave the comfort of his padded motorcycle saddle. “They often say that blood is thicker than water, why don’t we find out?” I snarled inside his head.

“So it’s you then,” he uttered. “You tore my family apart, now I’m going to do the same to you.” Peter took up a strange looking weapon; like a morning star, with a cleaver protruding from the other end of it. I dodged his swings with grace; and made my way toward him, maneuver by maneuver. The witch hunters had us outnumbered and out matched all the same; we couldn’t continue without missing the eclipse on Grassholm Island, a day and a half’s journey from now. Not without help; it was a lost cause, we had all but given up when there was a sudden loud snarling sound.

A larger werewolf; like a huge bear came bolting across the gap followed closely by three other’s about the same size as Bade. Tagger had been apprehended and tied down by the witch hunters; and Steven had been driven backward to the edge of the crevasse, while Solstice and Bade were standing their ground. I was currently at the bottom of a dog pile of seven or eight witch hunters, and not happy about it in the slightest.

        “Who started the party without us?” said one of the three smaller wulver; charging toward me; and knocking as many of the witch hunters off as he could.

        “You call this a party?” I asked him, knocking a few more of the leather clad monks to the ground.

        “Admittedly? You’d find more cheer in a grave yard.” He added.

        “Either way, it’s nice of you to join us.” I told him; tearing through another victim, with a great howl.

Finally; as the sun began to drop toward the lonely horizon, victory was ours.

        “We should keep moving,” said the largest wulver, “we’ll go cross country from here on out; and stay in wolf form, while we have the energy to keep moving. When we get to the ferry; we’ll phase again, and take the next carrier across to Grassholm.” Bade agreed without question; though he was the alpha in this pack, the large wolf approached me and looked down at me. “Rumors have reached my ears of this one, Bade. Be sure you protect her at all cost, and keep her out of trouble.”

        “Yes, Master fangen.” Replied Bade; bowing his head slightly to the master fangen, who’s name I soon learned was Tiny—human name; Darren Tate. His three young followers were his triplets; Lucas, Pierce and Silver--human names; Romulus, Remus, and Rollin Tate, each of them had the same jet black fur, and one of them had a few silver streaks. the nine of us carried on running northwest across the moors; anyone who spotted us, would have thought it an odd sight; seven unusually large wolves, a hairy young man with the appearance of a bull mastiff, and an average looking human being, all traveling together. Luckily for us; however, humans were scarce among the quagmires of Dartmoor, as they were all too afraid to fall in and be lost forever.