Chapter 16: I feel like we're missing something...

Location: Tour Bus
10:30 pm...
June's cellphone rang three times before she picked it up, "Hello?" She answered as she was walking back to the kitchen area in the bus where she was getting something to drink from the mini fridge.
"JUNE! HONEY! I'm so glad I got you!" Melissa's voice came from the cell phone.

"Mom!" June said pleasantly surprised, "w-wait what time is it in Minnesota right now?" June knew the only reason that her parents didn't call her was because it was expensive doing the international calling. 

Not to mention, time zones always woke them up in the middle of the night and figuring out the calling zone to add to the phone number in order for the call to reach  each other was always complicated.

"Very early in the morning, but who cares! How are you, sweetheart? How's touring?" Melissa asked genuinely happy to talk to her stepdaughter.  

Although June wasn't her real, biological daughter, Melissa loved June like her own flesh and blood.

"Great! Very fast, and very tiring! Everything's happening so fast and we're seeing so many things and people in such short periods of time, I almost feel like half the time I'm imagining things. The fans are awesome, too!" June admitted.

 June grabbed an orange soda and opened it as she flopped down on the couch area of the Tour bus. 

Melissa's chuckle was heard on the other line before she said, "I'm glad you love your job sweetheart! Well, just remember, Proverbs 27 verse 2 says, "Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips."So in other words, don't forget to be humble sweetheart. I understand you and your friends are getting more attention than you're used to, but don't let fame change you. You are in the public eye now, and there's a lot of young girls watching you. Not just you, but your friends too! The impact you have on other's lives is bigger than you think! So make sure that whatever you're doing or saying will impact them in a better way!" Melissa advised June. 

"Yeah...thanks, mom..." June felt awkward, she never knew what to say whenever Melissa started lecturing her.
"No, I'm just saying, because I don't want to start seeing my daughter's name on magazines saying she's been misbehaving! -" Melissa stated her concern and June burst out laughing,"yeah because I'm sure they would put, 'Mrs. Peters, you better call your daughter, she's been  misbehaving!' " June laughed.
Melissa also laughed before she got serious again, "No, June, I'm serious, though, I don't want the fame gettin' to you.  Remember, this isn't all because of your efforts, or because your so talented or your physical looks, this is because it pleased God to put you there. Now it's your turn to make him proud and not regret putting you there."
"Okay, mom." June nodded even though she knew her step mom couldn't see her nodding. She took a sip from her orange soda before Melissa continued on her rant about God and how June needed to be careful, and not forget her relationship she had with God because she was busy on tour.
"...don't get me wrong, sweetheart,  I'm beyond happy that you followed the dreams God placed on your heart but don't forget to give God the credit for the great opportunity he's given you." Melissa seemed to end her rant and June was starting to fall asleep on her bunk bed that she had climbed into as she was talking on the phone with her stepmom.
"Okay, mom." This was the 12th time June had said that on the phone.
"You sound tired, what time is it over there- where are you even?" Melissa asked her sleepy stepdaughter. 
"We're in Paris right now, and it's fifteen minutes until midnight," June informed her as she looked at the time.
"Oh, dear, it is late. Okay, sweetie,  I'm gonna let you sleep and I'm gonna go wake your dad up for work!"

"Okay, bye then!" June started saying her goodbye as she felt her eyelids droop. "Love you, hopefully, it won't be so long before we can chat again!" Melissa said optimistically before she finally said goodbye and hung up.