Part 61

I knew that most girls would wish for a figure like mine, but sometimes I hated it. I hated how everything seemed baggy on me, and then people thought that I liked baggy clothes and bought me some for birthdays and Christmas, when really, it was what I hated.
Chris and I take the bus to town. It is empty and has an overpowering smell of fish and chips that hits us as we enter. We choose the seats on the top floor right at the front, where Rose was yesterday, so that we can rest our feet on the bar. My feet can only just touch the bar, but Chris' ankles are resting on the bar. It reminds me of how much taller he is than me, how much older he must look to people who don't know our identities. I used to play this game all the time, picking a person out of the crowd and deciding their background, their name, how many kids they have, if they live with their parents and so forth. It used to amuse me for hours, so my Mum played it with me whenever we went on long car rides.
"Penny for your thoughts," Chris says, giving me a sideways glance curiously through his lock of thick hair.
"I'm thinking of this game I used to play," I say, feeling foolish. A game? Really? How old do you think you are, seven?
However, Chris looks intrigued, not as though he is about to run off this bus thinking I'm crazy.
"Oh, yeah?" he asks, in a tone that demands an answer.