THE BABY MILL [[55]] ALBUMIN

It was finally all falling into place. Things were going to be okay. Even with the chaos swarming around him like a colony of angry bees Onew knew that everyone would be okay. Scars and all.

            Any second now he would come face to face with the doctor. He would be furious. Onew couldn’t seem to care about that, though.

            It was time.

            He could see some people rushing about the place, dressed in different outfits. Occasionally they shouted at each other. There were loud bangs and crashes that made it seem like they were knocking in doors or other things.

            Soon Dr. Park was copying the noises. Onew saw him stomp in with a cloud of fury around him. His body language and expression weren’t difficult to decipher. His whole face was beet red. Onew watched him as he stalked to the wheelchair he was in.

            “Nobody is going to break up our family,” he growled.

            Onew was jerked violently when Dr. Park pushed the wheelchair along. Walls moved by them. Nothing new, but it felt different. He almost felt like humming a happy tune.

            Dr. Park rounded a corner, his mumbled curses growing in volume. “I’ll find whoever did this and I’ll throw them away. Everyone is disposable! I knew I shouldn’t have trusted anyone!” h shouted under his breath.

            What a hypocrite, Onew thought. He had just contradicted so much of what he believed in.

            “No one is going to put an end to my hard work. I should be given one of their stupid prizes. Don’t worry Onew, I’ll get us out of here. I’ll fix this.”

            “No,” Onew whispered.

            His objection didn’t seem to be heard. Whether by choice or not he couldn’t be certain. The doctor had a vibe that unnerved him and made him hesitate in speaking again. There was something that needed to be cleared up here. Onew had fixed this already. For Dr. Park to “fix” what he had accomplished would be ruining his hard work.

            “We’ll show them that what we’re doing is good.”

            “No.”

            They abruptly halted in the middle of the hallway. In the distance someone shouted loud enough for them to hear over the alarm.

            The loudest thing to Onew, though, had to be Dr. Park’s glare that seared into his own eyes. He had walked around the wheelchair so they could be face to face. Any other day Onew would have cowered into the pity he had harboured for himself. He was no longer inferior because he knew this game was over.

            “Are you going to let all our hard work go to waste? This is all that we wanted. We finally have our child – we’re a family, damn it!”

            Onew was shaking his head. None of what he was saying as true. He had never wanted this. The other had been assuming things this whole time; he had never stopped to ask Onew what he had wanted.

            “We stopped being a family a long time ago,” he rasped.

            “No. I gave you what you wanted. I got us a child.”

            “You did… But this wasn’t what I wanted…”

            He had children but he’d never held one of them. He’d never seen their faces or gotten to poke their button noses… Never felt their smooth baby skin or participated in changing diapers, feeding, bathing… All his children had been handled by strangers and who knew if any of them were even healthy. DNA was only meant to come from two people and not three.

            It looked like Dr. Park was going to say something else. Whatever it was Onew had already closed his ears to it. It wasn’t like he got to say it anyway.

            His prayers were finally answered. Just around the time Onew felt his chest contract a few officers approached them. They weren’t particularly rushed until they recognized who was there. The very person they were after, their suspect.

            Through heavy eyelids Onew watched the struggle. Men constrained him after a bit of resisting on the doctor’s part. But it seemed like he didn’t care about them stopping him. Maybe he wanted it all to finish like he did. Maybe he was tired of leading a secret double life.

            Onew wanted to believe that as he watched what used to be the love of his life get taken away with his hands cuffed behind his back. Finally he would pay for his sins…

            Too bad he wouldn’t be around to see it.

            His chest tightened again, the excitement taking a toll on his body once and for all. His story was over, just like Dr. Park’s.

            As people escorted him outside in his wheelchair he knew what was happening. He was rushed to an ambulance, passed around, hooked up to even more machines. Nothing could keep him from walking into the arms of fate. He’d only hung out this long to save everyone else.

            His justice had been served.

            While paramedics shocked his body with waves of electricity the corners of his mouth tipped up. He’d done it. Now that he knew Dr. Park couldn’t hurt anyone else he could cross that flat line indefinitely.

            It was all over.