Chapter 2 The only guy I will and have loved will be Damon

Reese drives me to Greta’s house as I ask him too after we leave the hospital.  We talk here and there in the car but we don’t really say much at all.  He centers on the road and I center on looking out the window.                       

Reese drives into Greta’s house.  Uh oh!  I see Greta’s car is already here.  I wonder if the school called her. . . 

“Do you want to come in?” I ask Reese. 

“No thank you.  I don’t think that would be safe.”  He tells me. 

“What do you mean you think it wouldn’t be safe?  We are friends aren’t we?  And besides, Greta hasn’t seen you in a while.  I bet she’d be so happy to see you!”  I cheer. 

“I think it would be a little too awkward . . . maybe next time okay?  You have a lot to tell Greta on what happened today, and I also bet you’re tired and need your sleep.” 

I sigh. He’s right.  I bet Greta is very anxious to hear my answer, and I am feeling very low on energy but still!  I think in a way Reese should be here with me to tell Greta . . . he was there for me to race me to the doctors so why couldn’t he help me tell Greta the story?  “Fine.” I grumble unhappy.

 “Aw, don’t get mad at me.” He says softly hugging me over the seat.

“I’m not mad” I say stubbornly.  He gives me a look that says he’s not buying it.

“I got to go.” I tell him.  

 “Okay” he says releasing his hug.  “Bye!  And don’t give me another day like today for a while, okay?” he questions with a grin on his place.

“I’ll try, but you never know . . . this little thing is the one you might want to be telling that too, not me.” I say lightly patting over my pregnancy bump.  He gives me a bigger smile and I give him one back. 

 As I walk into the house I find Greta sitting at the table reading a book with a glass of some kind of drink in it beside her.  I quietly sit in the other seat at the table.  She places her book down on the table and then crosses her hands over the other on the table.  She’s acting like she’s talking business, big business.

“I heard you walked out of school today with Reese, Damon’s old friend.  Why?” she looks at me like she’s almost mad at something.

I break down in tears.  “I almost lost the baby today.” I say through breaths.  “I rushed to Reese’s class and asked him to take me to the hospital. . . I never intended on ditching school, I was only working on saving this baby.  I can’t lose this baby.  It’s Damon’s baby.  And the only thing I have left of Damon.  I’m sorry if I disrespected you.” I finish all in a breath. 

It takes Greta a moment to respond and I estimate the reasoning for that is because she’s trying to process everything I just told her in such a sort amount of time.  I wait patiently trying to stop crying.

“You almost lost the baby?” Greta repeats like she’s in another world. 

“Yes” I answer as calm as I possibly can.

“W-What happened?” 

“I was in class and something didn’t feel right but I shook it off, then I noticed something was coming out of me and I dashed to the bathroom and saw it was some form of discharge.’’   

She takes another moment to say anything.  I completely understand this is something that might seem more like a dream than a real thing.“D-Did you. . .”  Greta doesn’t finish the sentence.  I see a tear roll down her face.