7

"I called Lainie and Gina, Keith and Marcia, Darry, and even Veronica's parents. I don't know what else to do. I think we should contact the police, Ponyboy." All the way outside the house, I could hear my mom. I could hear the panic in her voice. She thought I was missing. Although my head was pounding and I was already nauseous from the alcohol I drank, I felt guilty.

"Lydia, calm down. She snuck out. She's mad at us and she snuck out. She's probably with Faith. So while you're sitting there calling Emily's co-workers and friends that Hope hasn't even talked to in two years, have you even tried talking to Em yet? Have you called Sodapop? She's probably there. Right next door," my dad responded, and I could tell immediately that the tone of his voice wasn't calming my mom down at all. He was worried too, I could tell, almost to the point of snapping.

"You're right, Pony... I, I should have thought of that before," she said, and probably started dialing my uncle and aunt's number. Nervously, I gripped the door handle, wondering if I should go in. Faith gave me a helpful push, but I didn't move. I was too nervous that I would get in more trouble and have to cancel my date tomorrow night.

"This is why we can't handle anymore, Lydia," my dad, a bit quieter. I was surprised I could hear him.

"Ponyboy!" My mom yelled in response. "Hope could have just gotten kidnapped, and that's what you're worried about?!" He sighed. I rolled my eyes.

"I didn't get kidnapped," I said, exasperated. It was hard for me to believe they would even think that. Faith signed in my direction, and it was right then that I realized she had drank before, because it wasn't effecting us the same way.

"They don't know that, Hope. You should go in," she told me. I rolled my eyes. Like I didn't already know what I "should" do? She pushed me a bit closer to the door.

"Faith, I can't. They'll kill me," I tried to explain. She smiled.

"And I'll go right down with you. My dad doesn't know where I am and when Emily asked where I was going I told her the library to study," she responded. My eyes widened.

"You lied?" I exclaimed. She nodded, blushing.

"Yeah, but just to Emily. Not a big deal. You know she doesn't care." You could tell that she felt at least a little bit bad by the way she pulled her pink shirt as far down her tiny frame as it would go. She did that when she was nervous.

"You should go in, Hope. Really," she urged me. I shook my head, suddenly getting an idea.

"I can't. But what if I sneak back in?" I suggested. She raised an eyebrow, waiting for more information.

"I locked my door when I left, so they couldn't have gotten in. I'll just climb in through the windows in my room and pretend I've been sleeping. It's so simple, I don't know how I hadn't seen it before." I explained my plan, just as I heard my mom yelling at my dad again. I sighed, and Faith squeezed my hand.

"If you think it'll work..." she wanted to fight, you could tell, but hearing what was going on, you could tell she didn't much like the idea of me going right in anymore.

"I do. C'mon," I said, walking towards our backyard. She followed, looking up with me as I stopped walking.

"At least it's only on the first floor," I said, laughing nervously. She shrugged.

"You can get up there. You'll just have to jump a little bit," she said. I nodded. After a few attempts, I was up there.

"Okay," I said, peeking out. "Thanks for your help, Faith. I had fun. Now go home and try not to get in too much trouble." She nodded.

"I'll come over tomorrow to help you get ready for the date," she promised. I watched as she made her way across the street and into her house. Into the house with happy parents and two adorable little siblings that I love like they're my own. And I stopped to think about how lucky she was. Maybe she doesn't have the best relationship with Emily, her step mother, but she's still the nicest, sweetest person I know. Her father, my uncle Sodapop is the happiest, most loving and caring person you'll ever meet. I'm closer with Emily than probably any adult, even my own parents, which is weird, because like I said, Faith doesn't like her too much, but then again, I was there before her. Emily didn't get along too well with my dad when I was young, but they've worked things out since then, and even when they hadn't, I was always by her side. I looked up to her, wanted to be just like her. Now she's busy raising the twins, but I still try to spend time with her.

If she were here, she'd have known exactly what to do. But since she wasn't, I had to go with my gut. Slowly, I unlocked and opened my door. My parents looked over immediately.

"Hope?" They both yelled.

"Y-yeah?" I tried to sound sick, or life I had just woken up or something. I held my stomach for shows. They both ran up to me, squeezing me tightly.

"Oh, Hope! We're go glad you're okay!" My mom exclaimed, kissing all over my face. I groaned, and both of them got off.

"Honey, where have you been?" Dad asked.

"Um... In my room?" I lied. I tried to sound more curious, in the sense of "why would I have been anywhere else?" than like I was lying. My dad shot my mom a death glare.

"You were where?" My mom demanded.

"My room. I felt sick, so I was sleeping," I repeated, trying to act naturally. She looked at my dad, not believing me. He shook his head, and my stomach sank as I realized he didn't either.

"With the door locked? You slept through all of that banging on your door and yelling? I'm not buying it. Hope Marie Curtis, I want the truth and I want it now," he said. My heart pounded as I pondered on the idea of telling the truth.

"Fine," I started, my voice loud and confident. I lost that tone as soon as I started telling them, though. "I was at a party at Emma Johanson's house," I mumbled to my parents. They both looked angry. Fuming.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled. My dad glared at me, to angry to say anything.

"One month. You can start doing things one month from today, but for now, it's school, home, homework. You may come out of your room for bathroom use and meals. That's it, Hope. No phone either," my mom told me. I sighed, angrily.

"I had one day left! You can't so that! I have a date tomorrow!" I yelled. My dad laughed.

"Well, isn't that tough luck? I guess you're going to have to cancel it," he said. I sighed.

"Go to your room, Hope. Before you get in any more trouble," my mom said. She sounded sad, or maybe disappointed with me.

I walked to my room, tears in my eyes as I replayed the events of tonight and tried to figure out how I'd tell Eli I'd have to cancel if I couldn't go out of use a phone.

A/N: This is kind of long overdue, isn't it? Sorry about that! How do you think she'll tell Eli? Do you think she'll figure it out? Let's hear your theories!! Oh, also, welcome to the fam, Emily! Does she sound familiar to you guys? How about Lainie and Gina and Nora and Johnny? They should. Remember Broken? :) -Katy