9

A/N: Before we start I want to remind you that this story does take place in 1980, and I've tried hard to plan everything, the movies and show references correctly.

At 5:00, Faith came over. Mom and Dad were not happy, you could tell, but they still welcomed their niece in with open arms. She helped me pick out a dress, did my hair, and helped me with my makeup. It took all of a half an hour, since I don't have too many dresses, and my hair is straight enough that it'll work with anything.

When I told her about last night, she couldn't believe it. And then when I told her about this morning, she was in total shock. Which, I really couldn't blame her for.

"You got so lucky, Hope," she exclaimed, gasping. I nodded in agreement.

"Seriously, I cannot believe you got off the hook that easily!" She said. I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, you say that, but I'm still grounded for a month," I reminded her. She shrugged.

"At least you get the date, Hope. Take what you can get." I nodded, and then something occurred to me.

"Hey, did your dad or Emily ever figure out that you lied to them about last night?" She shook her head, and put a finger to her lips.

"No, and I don't want them to find out either. Especially right now," she told me. I raised an eyebrow, and she brushed through thick strands of my brown had.

"What do you mean right now?" I asked. She sighed, and I could tell she didn't mean to say it.

"I... have something to do tomorrow. I might be able to get out of it, but if they find out, they might make me go," she explained, in a way that told me literally nothing.

"Okay... What does that mean?" I asked. She shook her head.

"It's not important," she said. I shrugged.

"Whatever. But you're coming over after school so I can tell you about the date and we can do homework, right?" She and I did homework at my house every afternoon, and she usually stayed until dinner or later. Most of the time, Faith and I were inseparable. Like sisters.

"Probably," she said. We talked for a little bit longer as she worked on my hair, then tried to convince my parents to let her drive me, to no avail. I sighed, and we walked out together. At the door, she hugged me.

"Let me know how it goes! Gosh, you guys are going to be the cutest couple!" She exclaimed. I smiled widely at her, and started walking towards the corner of Pickett and Sutton.

When I got there, Eli was already waiting for me. I noticed that he hadn't driven either, and I hoped that he didn't have too far to go home. It'll be dark by then.

"Hey," he said, smiling at me. I returned the gesture, and said hi back.

"So," he said, "Dinner first, or movie?" I shrugged, ready to do whatever he wants to.

"Are you hungry?" I responded. He nodded.

"A little. But I'm not sure there are any good restaurants in this area," he said. I looked around, although I knew the area like the back of my hand.

"There's the Dingo. Not much of a restaurant, but we can still sit down, so at least it's something. My uncle used to work there," I said.

"Faith's dad?" He responded. I shook my head.

"Nope. My other one, Darry. He doesn't have kids, but he and his wife are trying. I'm not sure my family could tolerate many more kids, though. Faith has 8 year old twin siblings. Boy and a girl," I babbled, answering his question somewhere in there. Eli smiled at me, a bit awkwardly.