Chapter 6

When Phil regained consciousness, it was late. There was no clock in his circle of vision, but a dimly lit room and hallway told him that it had to be at least 9:00 or 10:00. This time, the memory of his loss was fresh in his mind, the hope still drained out of him. Phil knew there was no bringing Dan back.
     He pushed himself up onto his feet, groaning as stabs of pain shot through his upper body. Relief rushed through him when he noticed that the video camera had not taken the fall with him. It would've smashed to pieces, and there was no way Phil could've filmed the video again, even if he found another camera.
     He lifted up the black recorder and plugged it into Dan's MacBook, following his normal procedure  to upload the video to YouTube. His stomach flipped as he posted it, and he knew it would probably be one of the last videos he would upload. After all, how could he regain his happy composure after what had happened?
      He shut the computer, running his fingers through the raven coloured hair on his head. Thoughts were buzzing through his mind, each one calling out for attention, silencing the others momentarily, then restarting. How would the Internet deal with the news? Could they even understand the pain Phil was going through? Oh my god, Dan's parents, how were they dealing? Dan was his best friend, of course, but they weren't related by blood. His family would be devastated.
     Just try thinking of all the good times you had with him. Block out the bad stuff with some memories.
     So Phil thought of all the times Dan had laughed at him and called him names, only to smile at him with burning love in his eyes. He thought of going to concerts with him, vacations with friends, where Dan and him would run off and spend the day together, conventions. Filming videos, watching anime until late at night, falling asleep on the couch. Writing TABINOF and driving through the UK with Dan by his side for TATINOF. All the Phil Is Not On Fires.
     And that's when it hit Phil. This was the most fun I've ever had. In the heat of the moment, with Dan taking his final breaths and Phil trying not to break down sobbing, he had missed the point of his last words. It felt as if someone had punched him dead centre in the chest. The first PINOF. The first time the boys met. Dan had been so excited, but Phil had also been undeniably happy. Both of them knew that moment was going to be important, at some point. It was the humble beginnings of their fame, before most of the Internet knew who Dan Howell and Phil Lester were.
     Before they'd fallen in love.
     Before Dan  had died.

AUTHORS NOTE: this chapter is probably a bit more cheesy than the others, as I wasn't exactly certain how to finish it up well, alongside trying to find something that would play a somewhat major part in the story, bc the whole point of the chapter was to show Phil waking back up and uploading the video. New chapter in about a week! Hope you guys are enjoying it so far...
(#spon: you should check out my Instagram, @ ukulelelester )