Chapter 2

Later that night I went home to packed everything I needed for my journey. I packed a few shirts, pants, twenty gold pieces, a small blanket, a few homemade spices, a long strip of cloth, a few book and some medical herbs. I put everything into a small but handy backpack. I put my lucky dagger into the side of my left boot and I put on my old rag cape on and made my way back to the palace. Before I left my small shack of a house, my mother and father told me that I needed to be careful and that I should do my best to bring honor to our family and most importation keep our Prince safe.

"Hey! You're Conan right?" a man voice rang out from behind me. It echoed in the starry night sky. I turned and it was the swordsman.

"Yes um Ethan sir."

"Conan you don't need to be so formal with me. We will be working together for a while so just call me Ethan okay?" he put his hand on my shoulder as he spoke.

Bing "Okay" Suddenly I sounded really nervous. In other word just like an idiot.

For a while we were walking on the path to the palace but before we knew it we were there. Once in the palace, we were all shown to a room by a chamber maid.

The royal guest bed was way too soft. I wasn't used to this nice quality so I was up all night trying to find the right spot to sleep. I took of the mattress, so I was lying on the springs. When I was finally comfy, by getting off the bed and lying on the floor, the sun was just coming into view. "Damn it" I dragged myself off the floor and got dress quickly. The others were already at the palace entrance.

"Well, it looks like Conan didn't chicken out after all. Here Lucia." Ray had handed Lucia a few gold pieces.

I forgot we didn't see them last night so they didn't know I was here.

"Come on Ray! Knock it off! Conan is trying to help us and my mother picked him out of everyone to help us so be nice!"

They had then turned their backs to me, "Are you two dating or something like that?" I asked blankly.

The two of them spun to face me and in unison, "WE"RE NOT IN LOVE"

"Sorry, I mean I just had to ask you seem to be the only one who can calm Ray down. And you seem to only listen to her Ray"

They both turn red and looked away from each other.

"Well, Ethan, Ray, Eki, Conan, let's start our quest"

We had been walking for a few hours. We ate our last lunch in town then we started out.

We had walked in complete silence until it was only hours before dark when, "Let's try and find an inn before it gets too dark" Eki suggested.

Ray opened his mouth, about to answer, but I stepped in before he could say anything, "Sorry Eki we will have to camp out the closest inn is almost fifty-eight miles away. There is a river bed with soft ground and almost clean water at the end of this pathway. It will take about ten minutes to get there. When we get there we will have set up camp and if we get a move on now we will have a little daylight to spare."

They all looked at me, "How do you know all that?"

"It's very simple Ray"

"Really? Then how?"

"Yeah, really. I studied all of the possible paths to get to King James' country." I let out a long sigh, "Hurry up we are losing our spare daylight." I start to walk. They followed me.