Chapter 1

×A Road to Nowhere×

Another day, another fight. Is that how the saying goes? Well, for me it is.

Mom and I had gotten into another fight. Over what? I completely forgot. My anger builds up so much that I forget why I'm angry. I believe she called me out on being a "Lazy fuck" and I rebuttaled with saying, "I do everything around here," and we began fighting. As usual, she grounds me until I do the chore. I would have probably done the chore if I wasn't so sick. But nope she just has to say I'm lazy.

If you havent caught on, she's the lazy one. I clean everyday while she lounges around, alongside my sister. My sister is only 6, so I can understand why she doesn't do chores.

Maria is very special to me. She's closer to me than anyone. Her big blue eyes, and her dark red hair, I can see why Mom likes her so much.

It's 3:59 in the morning, I'm still wide awake from the arguement my mother and I had a few hours ago. The moonlight peeked just enough through my curtains that I could see little bits and pieces of my room. I began thinking, "What if I just run away?"

I thought about this for what seemed like hours. I thought no one would really miss me. "I have no friends at school, my family basically hates me, and the only people I talk to are out side this state! Maybe... No! Stop that! You can't run away from your problems." I thought to myself.

I looked over to my bag, then to my drawers.

"That's it! I've made my final decition!" I hoped out of the warmth and comfort of my bed quietly and made my way towards my bag. I unpacked my books, paper work, and supplies for school and began packing clothes, blankets, and a tent I use for camping.

I snuck out of my room down the long corridor to my kitchen. I began grabbing canned foods and bottles of water, then shoving them into my bag.

"Jess?" I hear a small, sleepy voice come from behind me.

I turned to see the same blue eyes filled with confusion.

"What are you doing?" She asks still very tired.

I bend down to be eye level with her.

"I'm going away for a long time, okay? I'll come back for you," I hug her tight, "Maria, stay in school, okay?" Maria hugged me back tighter and began to speak, "Can I come with you?"

"No, Maria, you need to stay here and protect Mama. Remember how she likes superheros? Well, be her superhero."

"Okay!" She looked at me for a long while then her face light up. She ran to her room and came back moments later.

In her hands was her favorite teddy bear, Cuddles.

"Here! Take cuddles. He'll keep you compony!"

I looked at her with shock before taking the bear into my hands.

"Thank you," I hug her one last time, before I send her off to her room.

I check everything in my bag. I had everything I would need, except one thing.

My phone.

I needed that along with my wallet. And of course Mom took those.

I sneak back to Moms room. She's in bead sleeping snoring her head off, as usual. I look to her bedside tabel and see my phone and my wallet. I sneek over there quietly trying to make no noise as humanly possible. I grab my stuff and run.

I reach the front door and look back at the house. "What will come of me?" I think to myself. I check the time to see its 5 o'clock. The sun will be rising soon. Turn back to the door and take my first steps outside.

Another day, another nickel will be my moto from now on.