Capitulo Ocho

Dedicated to Kate-Dimka for the super awesome cover she gave me in the side panel!

"Hey sweetie, it's seven a.m." Kristy whispered gently as she lightly shook my shoulder.

 "Alright," I groaned, "Wait. What's today?"

 "Monday."

 "Oh, I don't work until this afternoon!" I said as I rolled over onto my stomach and buried my face into the pillow. When I didn't hear her leave my room, I rolled back onto my side to find her still standing there with a look of indecision on her face.

 "What's up?"

 "I really hate to ask, but could you do me a favor?"

 "Anything," I responded without hesitation.

 "The truck has a flat tire so the boys can't take it into town for school and the Burb is in the shop because I couldn't get the engine to turn over..."

 "And you need me to take Clarissa and the boys to school," I finished for her.

 "If I could just borrow your Jeep, I could take them myself. I'd ask Sam, but I don't know where he's at. His car wasn't in the driveway when I got home."

 "He's still not back yet?"

 "No?" she responded, sounding more like she was asking me versus telling me. "Is there a reason I should be concerned?"

 "Oh, no. No! No, reason. I was just surprised is all. At any rate, don't worry about it. I've got it covered. Go to sleep. Brush your teeth. Shower. Not necessarily in that order."

 "No really, I-"

 "Seriously. I'll handle it," I interrupted, adding, "Good night Kristy," when she looked like she wasn't going to let it die.

 "Alright. Thanks Trini. You really are a life saver."

 "Anytime," I assured her as I got out of bed to throw on a pair of jeans and whatever shirt was at the front of my closet.

 As per my usual routine whenever I had to wake up the family, I headed to Andy's room first. After knocking on the door and receiving no response, I walked in to find him still asleep. I approached his bed to shake him awake, but the hand that reached for him dropped back to my side and I gasped in shock.

 Andy's had a whopper of a black eye and a split lip that looked like it still hurt. I glanced at the clock on his bedside table and after determining that I wouldn't have time for a full inquiry, left him to catch a few more minutes of sleep. I woke up the twins, Tyler and Clarissa, then headed back to Andy's room to find out what the hell happened to his face. Since yesterday was Sunday, he couldn't have got it at school and I knew he most certainly didn't get it at church because Kristy would have mentioned it.

 Giving his shoulder a light push I said, "Doofus. Wake up."

 He groaned, rolled over and threw an arm over his eyes. "Go away Snoopy. I'm sleeping."

 "Not any more, you aren't. Now get up and get ready for school. The truck has a flat tire and the Burb is in the shop so you'll have to take my Jeep. Rissa is going to ride her bike to school and I'm riding mine to work, but you'll need to pick her up at her friend, Chanda's house after school."

 "Why can't Sammy the boy wonder drop you guys off?"

 "He's not home, so I need you to get up and get ready."

 He sat up and looked me for a minute before asking me, "Not going to ask about my eye or my lip?"

 "Would you be able to explain and still get to class on time?" I asked with an eyebrow raised in question.