Chapter Three

I tucked my hands under my head to make some sort of pillow on the hard cold wooden surface. Sometime I found sleep again, only to wake up six hours later to take watch while my brother went back to bed having switched out with my father earlier. I had my homemade taser in my zipped up pocket, and brass knuckles on my fingers curled and waiting for any intruder to just try and shoot in to snag something. It was always during the dark that they came if the criminals did.

    It's happened twice already. But word gets around and several have learned not to cross that doorway not even during the day. Especially since my father and mother rarely left. It was always at least two staying together in the fort. If anything happens one can go to the roof of the building and jump down into the dumpster which hasn't been cleaned out for 14 years. No telling what's in there but we've tried it before for test runs. It's an aching landing but you'll just end up with bruises and a few small cuts. It's better than having the chance of being killed.

   We've tried to think of other options, but they just aren't there.

       I just hope we'll make it through these two scary nights coming up without any trouble.

         I awoke my watch beeping my sister having taken the last look out was still there. I was still surprised my clock hadn't run out of battery or screwed up. It still ran on the normal hours, but I wasn't even sure if it was still accurate. It was the only thing with a date on it though so we made due with it.

    It said it was six in the morning. Normally most would just wake up when their bodies woke up. But to find the loot you've got to be the first to get there. Especially today, where the unknown sun never shined a single ray down. Today was night 24/7, if the day really lasted 24 hours still. I picked up my bag and put in my water bottle inside and took a mini pig flash light in my hand.

"Good luck", said Anna. "To you too", I said taking a deep breath. "Promise you'll come back?", she asked. "Always", I replied pounding her waiting fist lightly.

"Big jelly fish!", she said waving her fingers and dragging her hand back.

 "Ha! Stay safe kiddo", I said and walked out of the door to have it only be closed behind me.

"Here I go", I muttered and lifted up my scarf over my nose and lifted my hood to my rain jacket.

   I went down the steps and through the final door into the dark, and damp world.

I began to shine my flashlight around looking through piles of gunk and trash. 

Down the streets I wandered. By now it did not matter which set route I went or if the streets were no longer labeled with their green signs and many frequent stop signs. I knew this wretched city sector like I knew I had ten toes and ten fingers still.

 I scavenged a few new empty water bottles since the ones I always brought to the market for free were never returned, just thrown back out on the street for me to find and reuse one day. No one but us ever really thought of keeping them for the future I guess.

    Sometimes I'd look up into the dark desolated buildings. I'd see a few of them dimly lit. Some doors would slam shut and someone would scurry out quickly unseen making me stop waiting tense. But the running of feet would just die off in the distance.

 I shined my pig flashlight looking for anything. A small bit of cloth to stitch together to make a bigger one. A wooden plank to fix or refine something. We did have a broken piece of wall that could be covered up. Then again we had several. But they were no bother at the moment.

 Maybe there was a fishing line or net to make a hammock! Maybe just maybe... to make mom a hammock on the roof or in the room to sleep in! 

There was a lot I wanted to try and find. Things that would make life easier. Or bring a bit of happiness in these twisted days. Yet, I had to stick with what I could find and not throw a fit. As much as I wanted to complain there wasn't any time for that.

   I squatted down moving trash on a remote sidewalk finding an old intact water bottle and tucked it into my bag. A few rusted and bent nails. I picked up a scrap of aluminum foil and picked off the rotten food from it as best I could and tucked it into my backpack to keep it flat.

   I heard a noise and snapped my head back. I heard a slight sound of hitting and gasping.
It was coming from an alleyway on the opposite side of the road a block down.

I stood slowly and latched my piggy flashlight to my backpack. I put on my rusted brass knuckles curling my fists and ran across the street. I ran silently to the edge of the building and crouched listening.

"I haven't seen you around this part of town. You seem pretty loaded", said a voice.

There was no reply which seemed to anger the man. "Guess you won't hand what you have over willingly. Search him. And do it by force if you have to!", snapped the man.

There was the sound of laughter and more uffs and grunts as the swings started again.

I adjusted my scarf higher up and took a deep breath. I burst around the corner catching the three men by surprise. The first got nailed in the nose with my brass knuckle cracking the bridge and caved in the nose towards the culprits face.

"What the!?", said one as I sprung off the side of the wall and drilled his cheek with such precision I had knocked out four of his teeth.

The third swung his fist at me and I ducked and spun tripping him with my foot as I rotated. I slammed my elbow back into his chest stunning him and grabbed his head throwing him over my shoulder smashing him against the cement.

The first crawled away with his bloody nose and I raised him up with ease even though he was six foot three and I was five foot ten. I held him by the scruff.

"Piss off", I warned throwing him down.

He scrambled away tripping and then continued disappearing into the darkness. The other two followed limping or struggling to move.

   I returned my bloodied brass knuckles into my zipper pocket in my rain jacket. I turned to the man who was beat and lay on the ground. I extended my hand as he looked up.

"Hey, come on we can't stay here. More might come", I said.

The man took my hand his face bruised and decorated with cuts. I pulled him up. His hand shot forward and I evaded to the right and snatched his wrist and twisted it behind him.

"I saved your life, now relax. I'm only going to help you", I said.

The man relaxed and I released my grip and went forward out of the alley way again. I looked down the road. Nothing, good. I motioned for the man to follow me and waved him too get close. Once he was close enough I took his hand and pulled him behind me.

  We rounded through the streets and I dragged him through shortcuts till we were a safe distance away and out of the area.

    I bent over panting. We had been running for almost a good 45 minutes to ensure the trail could not be followed.

"Thank you", said the man.

"N-no worries", I gasped. The man seemed unfazed by that long run.

"Was that really necessary though?", asked the stranger.

I nodded standing up straight and put my hands on my hips taking deep breathes, "Yes, yes it is", I replied gaining control of my breathing. 

"Running in fear after having achieved victory?", asked the man.

"You really are Russian", I said catching his accent.

The man was stunned.

"Your accent and attitude gave it away", I said bending over again. Sure I used to be an athlete but seriously. Cut me some slack.

"I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or...", his voice trailed off in his own thought.

"You aren't from around here are you?", I asked.

"No I am from...." he bit his lip as if not wanting to tell.

I laughed, "You don't have to tell me. Now come on, let's get somewhere safer", I said extending my hand again.

The man took it hesitating. So after being out for a total of five hours I returned home with an unexpected guest to be greeted by yet again the rifle.